• Rebarrel

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Sell/trade

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Use it as a tomato stake

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TK 1985

I've come across this heavy barrel 700 that I was going to tear apart for a .22 Creedmoor build. It's labeled 6 dash .269 NK on the barrel, the action has an insert for single shot, the stock has no cutout for a magazine well, plus it is bedded.

Should I just tear it all down, or if it's worth anything to people who do this kind of shooting maybe sell/trade for another short action, 700 that I can use as my base?

IMG_1148.jpeg

IMG_1150.jpeg

IMG_1151.jpeg

Put, a "Sporter weight" 24", Barrel in .22 Creedmoor on it, Glass Bed, do Trigger IF, Nec and, a repeater Magizine box and,.. Enjoy !
The .22 Creed. is the Modern, .22-250 Ai and with, 53 to 73 grain Bullets, using, a 1-9 Twist,..it's a pretty, Awesome "do everything",..
small Varmint / Predator Cart !

Put, a "Sporter weight" 24", Barrel in .22 Creedmoor on it, Glass Bed, do Trigger IF, Nec and, a repeater Magizine box and,.. Enjoy !
The .22 Creed. is the Modern, .22-250 Ai and with, 53 to 73 grain Bullets, using, a 1-9 Twist,..it's a pretty, Awesome "do everything",..
small Varmint / Predator Cart !
I've been debating on if I want a barrel twist for heavier bullets or to rocket out the lighter ones

Tough call. It looks like a nice older R700. Stock looks like the one on my Varmint VS and I like the blued receiver.

But I'd wonder if any work was done to the action? I'm not a fan of picking up actions that have been trued or otherwise worked unless it's by a local smith who will continue to service that rifle for me

I've been debating on if I want a barrel twist for heavier bullets or to rocket out the lighter ones
The 1-9 twist is, a "Do everything" middle, Bullet weight for Sage Rats & PD's with, the amazing, high BC, 53 gr., V-Maxes to the TOUGH, 65 gr Sierra GK's for deer, up to, the 73 Berger BT's for, Steel or, LR,.. Coyotes.
55 and 60 grain, Nosler Ballistic Tip's, are,.. pretty Wicked, also !
When my .22-250, "goes South" that's WHAT, I'll be doing to, My Rem 700 action,.. .22 Creedmoor !
Medium weight, bullets and the 1-9 Twist, allow for, a tiny bit,.. BETTER, Barrel Life than the Fast Twist with "Heavies" but, that's YOUR Decision !
A 65, 69 or 73 grainer, will kill Varmints,.. a LONG Ways out !
As per LuvDog's post, the Reciever threads will need to be, "Checked" and the New Bbl threaded, accordingly.

Last edited:
Tough call. It looks like a nice older R700. Stock looks like the one on my Varmint VS and I like the blued receiver.

But I'd wonder if any work was done to the action? I'm not a fan of picking up actions that have been trued or otherwise worked unless it's by a local smith who will continue to service that rifle for me
I'm sure work has been done. But getting my smith to check true is easy

The 1-9 twist is, a "Do everything" middle, Bullet weight for Sage Rats & PD's with, the amazing, high BC, 53 gr., V-Maxes to the TOUGH, 65 gr Sierra GK's for deer, up to, the 73 Berger BT's for, Steel or, LR,.. Coyotes.
55 and 60 grain, Nosler Ballistic Tip's, are,.. pretty Wicked, also !
When my .22-250, "goes South" that's WHAT, I'll be doing to, My Rem 700 action,.. .22 Creedmoor !
Medium weight, bullets and the 1-9 Twist, allow for, a tiny bit,.. BETTER, Barrel Life than the Fast Twist with "Heavies" but, that's YOUR Decision !
A 65, 69 or 73 grainer, will kill Varmints,.. a LONG Ways out !
As per LuvDog's post, the Reciever threads will need to be, "Checked" and the New Bbl threaded, accordingly.
I'd probably stick around the 50-70gr range leaning toward the light side. Going any heavier you might as well just use a .243 or 6mm Creedmoor.
Lasering the 35gr bullets would be fun but they aren't much good for anything but exploding PD and groundhogs.
I've spent at least 2 hours going over calculators with bullet weight, sectional density, etc trying to decide what I want.

I'd probably stick around the 50-70gr range leaning toward the light side. Going any heavier you might as well just use a .243 or 6mm Creedmoor.
Lasering the 35gr bullets would be fun but they aren't much good for anything but exploding PD and groundhogs.
I've spent at least 2 hours going over calculators with bullet weight, sectional density, etc trying to decide what I want.
Exactly ^^^ ! Good Bullet "Range" in My opinion, too. I HAVE, a 6 XC to cover, MORE Distance and the "bigger stuff" then, I can jump up to, a 6.5.
I'd look hard at,.. the 53 V-Max as, a "starter",.. small Varmint, Bullet !
Your Rifle's Action, looks to already Have, a .250 Recoil lug, so you most probably, already have,.. a nicely "Trued" action !

Last edited:
Exactly ^^^ ! Good Bullet "Range" in My opinion, also, as I HAVE, a 6 XC to cover, MORE Distance and the "bigger stuff" then, I can jump up to, a 6.5.
I'd look hard at,.. the 53 V-Max as, a "starter",.. small Varmint, Bullet !
Your Rifle's Action, looks to already Have, a .250 Recoil lug, so you most probably, already have,.. a nicely "Trued" action !
Oh yeah I didn't mention it but yes it has a chonker of a recoil lug on it

With the ( most probably) "Trued", Rem 700 Action and Leupy Scope you got, a fairly good Deal and worth, Re-Barreling, IMO
Prob what I'll end up doing. It sure it's clear from the pics but the single shot plate is either job welded in or bedding material, that will be easy to take out and I have an extra magazine metal piece. I just can't use the stock, I mean I could but id likely get a way lighter barrel and that big channel would annoy me.

IMO buy a CF barrel of similar contour and run it. I'm buying a Benchmark CF for 20-223 AI from Greg, he made me feel pretty OK about it. My normal gunsmith highly advises against CF if there's any chance of it running hot, so I've heard both how great and how awful it will be. I'm in the middle of finding out for sure by myself with multiple CFs. So far so good. I'm not going to change my prairie dog barrel over to CF from steel or anything, but for low-volume shooting I don't see a downside yet.

If you decide you want to not mess with it and just need it gone, let me know.