Trade and buy again, or rebarrel...

Groot

Looking for some advice, heres my predicament..

I currently have 2 savage rifles, one older basic model 110 in 7rm and the other is a 10T in 308. On the 10T it came with a bull barrel, and the cheap crapy stock that I had to put a polymer cheek riser on to get the proper height.

Im on a pretty tight budget but my original plan for the longest time was to build on the 10T action, buy a shilen (or McGowen) prefit in an undecided caliber and then buy a Boyd's pro varmint stock, maybe add pillars and bed it for sure. But then any time I got a new itch I could replace the barrel in the same contour in a different caliber.

I do a lot if varminting (ground hogs and coyotes) as well as deer hunting (when I don't fill tags in archery and early muzzle loader) and thats mainly what the rifle would be used for, so I thought a 6 creed or 22 creed shooting heavys would be a good fit, but thats another topic for another day.

But then I started second guessing it and considered trading both in with some added on top for a factory rifle possibly a Tikka in 6.5 creedmoor and would most likely not be used for varmint hunting and be used as a designated deer rifle. I just worry that if I do that and Ill regret not building.

thats all of your thoughts on it? Any advice?

Additionally I already have designated varmint and deer rifles, one in 223 Rem and the other in 270. As of right now just looking for one to do both when my girlfriend borrows one of them.

I'd just buy the Tikka. If you were flush with excess funds, then I'd say build without cutting any corners. That said, have seen a few Tikkas outperform much more expensive customs.

If it were me I'd stick to your original plan and look at a Criterion prefit from NSS along with their recoil lug & nut. Then skim bed the action into a Bell & Carlson stock (w/ aluminum bedding block) and be done with it.

Thank you for your replies, lol now even more undecided one says build one says buy! Haha I'm going to look into criterion barrels from Northland and some stocks. And go from there,

If it were me I'd stick to your original plan and look at a Criterion prefit from NSS along with their recoil lug & nut. Then skim bed the action into a Bell & Carlson stock (w/ aluminum bedding block) and be done with it.

Just curious as to why you recommend criterion over the before mentioned prefit manufactures?

Just curious as to why you recommend criterion over the before mentioned prefit manufactures?

Nothing against the other mentioned brands at all. I just tend to stick with/recommend what has worked well for me (Douglas and Criterion). The customer service that 'James' gives at NSS is top-notch. Their barrels are actually Krieger's button-rifled process and I couldn't be happier with the one I have.

This is what me and a buddy did with 110 lw hunter, but went with a 30-06. I think he went with a houge stock thou. Id do the bell & carson route. Why 30-06 bc he wanted one lol.

Nothing against the other mentioned brands at all. I just tend to stick with/recommend what has worked well for me (Douglas and Criterion). The customer service that 'James' gives at NSS is top-notch. Their barrels are actually Krieger's button-rifled process and I couldn't be happier with the one I have.

I don't believe that I've heard anything bad about Criterion through what I've read in the past, and being my first prefit and not partial to anything else, I will most likely follow your recommendation. I actually was under the impression that they were much more expensive and didn't even consider them!

I actually was under the impression that they were much more expensive and didn't even consider them!

Here's a pic of the invoice of the one I ordered back in December 2018. Considering everything that came with the order I thought the total price was dang good!
9AA02694-9486-42AD-849D-0131DF5DD21F.jpeg

This is what me and a buddy did with 110 lw hunter, but went with a 30-06. I think he went with a houge stock thou. Id do the bell & carson route. Why 30-06 bc he wanted one lol.

I briefly looked into the houge stocks and didn't really find anything that woe-ed me about them. For the longest time I really liked the B&C Tac / Competition stock (with the adjustable cheek riser) but then it hit me that I didn't really want something with that wide of a forend.

He
Here's a pic of the invoice of the one I ordered back in December 2018. Considering everything that came with the order I thought the total price was dang good!
View attachment 165940

Heck ya id say thats a great buy, much better than expected. Not sure if any prices have changed but thats pretty much everything I'll be ordering as well. Oh man, now Im getting excited lol. Do you recall roughly how long did it take for you to receive your order?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.