Trouble with shooting 1 MOA even at 200m's

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by Russmann, May 9, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. silverhair

silverhair Active Member

Howa recommends a torque of 50 - 55 inch pounds on the action screws. It has been noted in this and other forums that some long range shooters change the torque on the rear screw to fine tune performance, but that has not been my [admittedly limited] experience. When I changed stocks, LokTite Blue was used on both screws torqued to 50 inch pounds. (CAUTION!! LokTite tends to expand a bit which increases tightness.)

aushunter1 likes this.
  2. aushunter1

aushunter1 Well-Known Member

Yes another good point, just like checking scope mounts/rings etc!

silverhair likes this.
  3. Remmy700

Remmy700 Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I stated both of those points in my initial post. Fellows these new members need to learn to do research on the forum prior to coming with some of these questions! Am I alone on this? There is a wealth of knowledge on here that has been covered to many times on the same topics.

4. aushunter1

aushunter1 Well-Known Member

Very true, I don't like posting a question unless I have exhausted every avenue & done hours of problem solving myself, basically I am stumped at that point.

There is so much useful info on here & out there on the web that you can generally solve a problem or come to an educated conclusion on your own.

Some people just don't follow the same path or want to make the effort unfortunately.

Still that's what forums are for...………..to ask question!

Skidoo and Remmy700 like this.
  5. jd5521

jd5521 Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

silverhair likes this.
  6. Skidoo

Skidoo Well-Known Member

I thought that was what forums are for asking questions? I mean I get it things like this come up all the time for some of you on here and if so just move along no harm in not commenting on every thread that comes up. I like some others use forums to get suggestions on things instead of wasting countless hours of my time searching forums and the internet all the time. Just my .02 that don't mean squat.

Remmy700 likes this.
  7. Remmy700

Remmy700 Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I apologize if that post sounded harsh about asking questions. By all means that is what the forum is for. However, when you have a rifle problem there should be some things you eliminate for yourself before bringing it public. Things such as checking torque on base, rings, action screws, looking for high spots in barrel channel, good visual inspection of the rifle. These are all very simple things and there are thousands and thousands of resources to utilize for that information. Now once those common things have been covered once you make your post you ensure to include these important details so the brainstorming can begin with all the experience on this forum. When you post a question with no information such as this original post no one has no idea what has been eliminated. I mean by looking at bullet weight I would assume it is a 308 but that's not even in there. What rings? What base? How many rounds on rifle? Last time it was full cleaned? When shooting at 200-300 was it from a rest, bipod, rear bag? I mean maybe it was free handed and if so 1-2 MOA is bad ---! lol. That's all I am saying, again I apologize for not clarifying that in previous post!

300whisper and Skidoo like this.
  8. Skidoo

Skidoo Well-Known Member

It's all good sir. Doesn't look like the OP wants to come back and help us help him LOL

Remmy700 likes this.