Trouble with Scope Mounting - Used up all Elevation?

I had a set of those Burris ZEE-rings. One fit nice an' tight; no problemos. The other would slide on the scope tube when the screws were screwed-down to mega-tightness. I was too stupid to think about sticking a small piece of band-aid on the inside of the suspect swivel ring. I'm Polish. Gimme a break!

I ran into the same thing the other day.I mounted a scope that had been on another rifle.I was boresighting it and ran out of elevation.Went and got my mirror,put it over the scope objective,lined up the two sets of crosshairs you see when you look through the scope with the mirror over the other end and I gain back the elevation and was able to boresight my rifle without having to change my rings or bases.

I agree with huntsman22 - go shoot it and see where it is. I bet the high rings coupled with the really short bore sight distance are combining to cause the issue. Shoot it at 25 yards and see where it is. Most rifles zeroed at 25 yards will be 1.5 - 2 inches high at a 100 and back on around 200 - 250.

Get rid of your 2 piece base/rings and get a 20moa 1 piece steel base and a set of conventional aluminum rings (this will strengthen your action and stop differential thermal expansion between the scope and rings).

2/3 of my R700's don't have a level receivers. You will likely need to bed ()
one side of the base to level it (see pic). You are probably bending your scope with those 2 piece bases. If you have access to a scope alignment tool I would check but I'm betting they're not aligned.

Attachments

• 31171EF0-0EDE-4A4E-B5FF-28E129FE2A3E.jpeg
    31171EF0-0EDE-4A4E-B5FF-28E129FE2A3E.jpeg
    174.6 KB · Views: 83
I bore sight (looking through the bore) at 100yds and put the crosshairs on the center of that target. That is a crude beginning but it gets me on the paper at 25 yards. A 180g 308 set like that should be about 1.2" low at 25yds set that and shoot at the 100yd target: you will be pleased, no need for different rings. Will work fine with a 20moa rail as well.

25 feet is too close. You will be WAY high at 100 yards.
The bullet line of sight is pretty close at 25 yds. and 100 yds. because the bullet arc rises above the line of sight then falls back down to line of sight around 100 yds. If I remember correctly a .308 Win is 25-106. Another one is 50-250. This is a handy thing to know.

The bullet line of sight is pretty close at 25 yds. and 100 yds. because the bullet arc rises above the line of sight then falls back down to line of sight around 100 yds. If I remember correctly a .308 Win is 25-106. Another one is 50-250. This is a handy thing to know.
OP said his target was at 25 feet, that is 8 yards, plus he bought high rings.

I had an issue today I've not had before. I put Leupold Backcountry High 2 piece rings/bases on my Rem 700 long action rifle. Mounted a newly acquired Zeiss Conquest Hd5 3-15x50 scope.

Since I'm an hours drive from the range and bad weather, decided to do the old bore scope method. Had a target 25 feet away and took bolt out and fixed the gun so the bore was directly on the target centered in the barrel. Then I went about matching the z-plex reticle to the same target. I was able to get the reticle on the target on windage with ease - about middle of turret.

However, when I tried to bring the reticle in the vertical, I got it centered on the target to match the bore view, but I had used all my elevation - no turns on the turret left for elevation.

I don't think it is the scope, but not sure.

I'm left with the idea that I might have to buy Warne Maxima two-piece steel mounts and Warne 1" Maxima Horizontal mounts as I've read that these bases are higher on the rear which might give me some elevation boost by being higher on the rear.

If you have any ideas, am I on the right track here? Or do you really think the scope might have an issue. Or, is this redimentary method just that and I need to go to the range to confirm?
Sounds like you are putting together a good set-up. Stop messing around and order some Near mounts from Canada, they are the best hands down. No matter how much rifle you have or how much recoil these will not give up and are the easiest to mount on a rifle. Look them up you will be impressed. I am amazed sometimes at the range when someone comes out with a custom built and they have put a $300 scope and some cheapo mounts and cant get less than 1 moa and are complaining about the gunsmith. Good glass will make any gun shoot better, poor glass will make the best gun intolerable. Like buying the best CB radio and using a coat hanger for an antennae.

OP said his target was at 25 feet, that is 8 yards, plus he bought high rings.
Put this on the calculator and average .308 comes back to line of sight at 627 yds. with a 1.65 scope height, zeroed at 8 yds. He should have plenty of turret adjustment left, something else is amiss. I missed the 25 ft. thing and just offhand my brain read yds. Thanks.

Like others have already said - 25 feet is too close to boresight with the method described. The store's indoor range is 75 feet, so for those customers wishing to "sight in" (we don't call it that - some customers do) we dial them in to be 1" low. In most cases (depending on scope height) it gets them pretty close for their actual sight in at 100 yards.

I had an issue today I've not had before. I put Leupold Backcountry High 2 piece rings/bases on my Rem 700 long action rifle. Mounted a newly acquired Zeiss Conquest Hd5 3-15x50 scope.

Since I'm an hours drive from the range and bad weather, decided to do the old bore scope method. Had a target 25 feet away and took bolt out and fixed the gun so the bore was directly on the target centered in the barrel. Then I went about matching the z-plex reticle to the same target. I was able to get the reticle on the target on windage with ease - about middle of turret.

However, when I tried to bring the reticle in the vertical, I got it centered on the target to match the bore view, but I had used all my elevation - no turns on the turret left for elevation.

I don't think it is the scope, but not sure.

I'm left with the idea that I might have to buy Warne Maxima two-piece steel mounts and Warne 1" Maxima Horizontal mounts as I've read that these bases are higher on the rear which might give me some elevation boost by being higher on the rear.

If you have any ideas, am I on the right track here? Or do you really think the scope might have an issue. Or, is this redimentary method just that and I need to go to the range to confirm?
Should be at least 25 yards, not feet. If I do that, I do it at 100!

I had a set of those Burris ZEE-rings. One fit nice an' tight; no problemos. The other would slide on the scope tube when the screws were screwed-down to mega-tightness. I was too stupid to think about sticking a small piece of band-aid on the inside of the suspect swivel ring. I'm Polish. Gimme a break!
The inserts are matched pairs, if you accidently mixed up the halves that might have produced your problem. Make certain on says + and the other - in the same ring.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts