Trouble with Zeiss Conquest Scope

bowietx

First post on this sight and it involves and issue that I am having with a new zeiss conquest 3x9 40mm scope that I have mounted on a Remington .280 mountain rifle. I had this scope mounted when I purchased it from Cabela's. I was using a Viking Tactics target to zero in and started at 25 yards. On this target I had three circular reactive targets mounted on paper with a vertical seperation of approximately 1 ft. At 25 yards it was a little high, but I wasn't concerned as I just wanted to verify that I would be on paper. At 100 yards I was hitting dead center of the target, but on the circular target above the one that I was aiming at. 3 shot group measured .85. In the end I had the scope dialed all n the way down in elevation and still couldnt change the point of impact. Is this the scope, mount, rifle or operator. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

You could have a broken scope but that's rare for a zeiss but it does happen. I would lean toward Cabelas, take it back and have them check the base, see if its a flat or MOA base, it should be a flat base.I really don't think it's the operator and your groups are very good for a broken scope.I think you may have an MOA base, if not, I would say your scopes broken.If you have a gunshop nearby have it checked out if Cabelas isn't nearby.

Mountainman,

Thanks for the advice. I just wanted to have someone sanity check my experience before driving back to Cabelas, which is unfortuneately 4 hours away. I am also considering having a gunsmith measure my scope mounts to determine if the front mount is higher than the back. After zeroing a number of rifles this is a first and with a new scope inexcusable.

Quick update to this post:

The scope was broken and after an awesome experience with Zeiss customer service it was replaced and now it is great. After a quick moutning and bore sighting it put the first shot within 3 inches of point of aim and since that time ~100 rounds with no issues. Thanks to all for your insights.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts