Trouble with Scope Mounting - Used up all Elevation?

Montana73

I had an issue today I've not had before. I put Leupold Backcountry High 2 piece rings/bases on my Rem 700 long action rifle. Mounted a newly acquired Zeiss Conquest Hd5 3-15x50 scope.

Since I'm an hours drive from the range and bad weather, decided to do the old bore scope method. Had a target 25 feet away and took bolt out and fixed the gun so the bore was directly on the target centered in the barrel. Then I went about matching the z-plex reticle to the same target. I was able to get the reticle on the target on windage with ease - about middle of turret.

However, when I tried to bring the reticle in the vertical, I got it centered on the target to match the bore view, but I had used all my elevation - no turns on the turret left for elevation.

I don't think it is the scope, but not sure.

I'm left with the idea that I might have to buy Warne Maxima two-piece steel mounts and Warne 1" Maxima Horizontal mounts as I've read that these bases are higher on the rear which might give me some elevation boost by being higher on the rear.

If you have any ideas, am I on the right track here? Or do you really think the scope might have an issue. Or, is this redimentary method just that and I need to go to the range to confirm?

It's simple geometry really. Given your high mounts your line of sight is probably around 2" above your line of bore. If you bring the line of sight and line of bore together at 25' and you continue on that path for another 275' to get to a 100 yard target your bullet will be hitting 22" high (less whatever drop your cartridge has at that distance). I would dial it down 20 moa and head to the range.

Why do you want your zero at 25ft?

I generally use a similar process to you, but set the target at 25, or sometimes 50yd

main-qimg-f23cf27645a0b9605bf261a470ea90df-c.jpg

I didn't want to zero at 25 feet. In the past I've used this method to get on the paper quickly at 100 yards. Lots of videos about this process as well using bore and reticle. In this case it didn't work and I'm going to use the Burris method to gain more elevation in my setup.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts