Scope trouble.

bob4

I have a Swaro Z-3 4x12x50 BT. I can get the reticle in focus and at low power everything looks great. At higher magnification ,much past 5-6 both the reticle and object start coming out of focus. In the middle range, like 6-7 I can screw the ocular in/out and the target comes back in focus but then the reticle is blurry as H... Higher than that (9-12) I can not bring the target in focus at all. What really bothers me is I just sent a different Swaro back in for the same thing. ( Z5 3.5-18X44-L) The Z-5 was on this Rem 300 WM 2+yrs with no issues. The Z-3 I recently placed on a Rem 243. It is not new. Took it from another rifle. Anyone ever had this happen? Any thoughts? For the record these are not AO type scopes)

Hate to say it but, looks like you'll have another one going back. If your ocular focus won't keep you in focus past 5-6x, you have in essence a 4-6x scope for the price of a 4-12x.
If it were me, it would be boxed and sent to Swarovski as soon as possible.
Hope you have something else to use in the meantime.

It's possible that something has shook free? possibly from recoil.

Have you tried loosening the rings and checking that they aren't binding, then torquing them to the manufacturer spec for the rings.

If the rings don't quite mate properly they can apply torque to the scope, I have read ...somewhere.....that this can cause issues, with adjustments and focusing.

You might also want to check if there is a "Soft" recall on the optic, basically, the manufacturer knows there is a problem, but it pops up rarely or only in such small numbers, that they are servicing the product or making the needed changes only when the product in question is sent in, not contacting all the registered owners or warranty holders, hence a "Hard" recall.

I had four Swarovski z5 5-25X52s. The one I kept after finally getting one I would keep went back twice over two years of hunting with it. Both times the return packaged included a note to the effect the erector was replaced. To my surprise they charged me $30 the second time.

Thanks Rich, Not what I was hoping to hear but much more helpful. Twice in 2 yrs seems like a lot provided it wasn't dropped. I'm sure you didn't. They haven't charged me yet. And when I told them I was having trouble with the BT rings they sent all new stuff no charge.
It's possible that something has shook free? possibly from recoil.
Have you tried loosening the rings and checking that they aren't binding, then torquing them to the manufacturer spec for the rings.
I will try loosening the rings and see if it helps. I have other scopes that will get me through season long as the same thing doesn't happen. :mad: Have to admit I got them what I would call plenty snug,(not hammered by any means) and left well enough alone. Am on a search for a torque wrench for this.

4, hope the torque is the issue. Perhaps see if it has ring marks, rings may need align-honed. A friend sent his Swarovski back for work and was charged like Rich was. Most manufacturers fix or replace at no cost except your shipping it to them. Got one back last year from Nikon, FedEx overnight.

I picked up a wrench at Cabela's made by Wheeler Engineering called the F.A.T. Wrench, not that I needed more Torque wrenches, but it's much easier than using my long shaft tool's.

Remember that you need "INCH" pounds not "FOOT" pounds...wife always seems to bring me the foot pound wrench :) whenever I needed to use inch pounds...love her to death, just don't send her for tools or allow her to clean a work area...I still haven't got my reloading room back into full function since she tidied up....Sigh!

When I got the FAT wrench I discovered tighten things down to the required torque settings required more tightening than I was used to. But I worked with a guy who could brake a breaker bar and wonder what was wrong with my tools. My Weatherby is supposed to be torqued to fifty inch pounds. That requires, now in my old age, 100% effort.

As far as torque goes, I had been using the short end of the Allen wrench in my fingers and tightened till it started to hurt. Loosen the rings last night and no help. No marks on the tube at all. Shipping it today. I've really liked these scopes for the past 4 yrs or so till now.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.