Trimming a die

Jinx

I have reloaded some 129 gr Sierra tips conservatively in my 264 Win Mag and get a sticky bolt. The primers are not blowing out neither is the primer flattening. The 160 gr bullets are fine with 1 out of 50 shots giving the same problem.

The gunsmith recommends to trim the bottom of the die to neck the casings more down. Will this work or not? Just started handloading.

It doesn't sound like a die problem to me unless the bolt is sticky while chambering a new round. The bolt is sticky after firing a round correct?

The gunsmith recommends to trim the bottom of the die to neck the casings more down. Will this work or not? Just started handloading.

He probably said to trim the bottom so you could bump the shoulder back more. I'm guessing you're hitting your shell holder with the bottom of the die and not bumping the shoulder back as far as you should be.

It happens more often than you think.

I have 2 dies that need to be shorter (1 Redding and 1 RCBS).

Guess I'm a little dense today, don't quite understand your problem.

What are "129 gr Sierra tips"?

How is the bolt "sticky", is it while chambering or while opening after firing?

How can the "160 gr bullets" be "fine" with 1 out of 50 shots giving the same "problem." And what is the problem in the 50th shot?

Don't understand how trimming "the bottom of the die" is supposed to affect the case necks. ???

Without quite knowing what your situation is I can't begin to guess if it will "work or not?"
Might you claify a litttle more?

Last edited:
What is the make and model of your rifle? Some of the model 70s chambered in 264 win had extremely short throats. You could be seating the bullets deep into the lands, which under a somewhat stiff charge, will cause excessive pressure. Hence the sticky bolt. The remington and winchester factory loaded ammo was loaded with dual diamater bullets (i think thats what they were called) because of this. Loading conventional bullets requires that you either seat the bullet really far into the case or have a gunsmith ream the throat a little deaper. I ran into a simillar issue with my 264 the first time I tried to load for it. I had my gunsmith ream .120 out of the throat and its been shooting like a champ ever since. Just some food for thought. Good luck!

If it's a matter of being able to get the shell up into the die a bit more the ez thing to do is take about .010" off the top of a spare shellholder. I've done this to correct problems on some ofthe wsm's and an ultrmag. You don't even have to be super fussy about how you do it as the top of the shellholder has no function in the resizing of brass. Just hold it against the side of a grinding wheel with a vice grips and "eyball" the removal.....works perfectly.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.