Necksize and trimming

artemistrad

Hi. I read somewhere that benchrest shooters do trim the cartridges before they neck size them. Is this tru? I do that now but still see after sizing that there is a slight difference in some cartridges. Or am I doing it in the wrong order and must be trimming after necksize? I am scared to ruin the neck tension when it is done afterwards. Who can help me out and clear things. Thanks Mark

I always trim after neck sizing, shooting never hear max in any of my rifles and neck sizing I rarely ever see much stretching anyway, just a hair sometimes..keep the pressure down some and save yourself lots of work !

If you are using a piloted trimmer I understand why you are asking this question. I would suggest that you measure some trimmed cases to see if the pilot altered the dimensions of the case neck. I suppose to remove any doubt you could run the brass back through the bushing die again after trimming.

If you are using a piloted trimmer I understand why you are asking this question. I would suggest that you measure some trimmed cases to see if the pilot altered the dimensions of the case neck. I suppose to remove any doubt you could run the brass back through the bushing die again after trimming.

I always trim after sizing. That is when the brass shows it's growth. I seldom trim. Only when absolutely necessary.

I'm using a Giraud trimmer and for several of my cases, they stick and will not trim properly if not resized first. It may be over doing it but I full length size, trim and then neck size.

I have started doing this route but I think it may be a little over kill. I nock out the primers, tumble till clean (3 to 4 hours), full length resize (just enough to knock the shoulder back .001 to .002 thousands), either tumble or wipe off the case lube (I found that a little case lube allow the piolet on the neck trimmer to not really mess with my necks or get sticky on the inside), trim, deburr out and inner of case, back in the tumbler for about 2 hours sometime 3 to clean off all the case lube, then prime, and load.

Hi. I read somewhere that benchrest shooters do trim the cartridges before they neck size them. Is this tru? I do that now but still see after sizing that there is a slight difference in some cartridges. Or am I doing it in the wrong order and must be trimming after necksize? I am scared to ruin the neck tension when it is done afterwards. Who can help me out and clear things. Thanks Mark
Measure your pilots, if they're bigger than your internal case neck dimension, spin 'em in a drill and polish them until they're the SAME or .0005" smaller than your cases. I would limit the difference to .0015" SMALLER than the ID of your necks.
I ALWAYS trim AFTER sizing, whether it's a bushing, expander, neck or FL die.

Cheers.
gun)

+1 MagnumManiac
When you read any inference about what BR shooters do, keep in mind that those actually representing competition, would do any & everything. Truly competitive people do not limit themselves.

Yes, there are mobs in each discipline, but most among them are in no way competitive. They're just showing up & shooting like, or as close to like, they think everyone else is..

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.