Trigger won't function in new stock...Any ideas?

huntoregon

I have a Weatherby Vanguard .308 I recently bought a McMillan stock for and a Timney trigger. Problem is when I bolt the action into the stock the trigger can't be pulled.

The bolt cycles just fine, the safety selector switch moves just fine but the trigger doesn't work. When I loosen the action screws so the action has some movement in the stock I can pull the trigger and it works but I noticed the back of the action rises up. So I am thinking the rear of the action is seating to far into the stock and binding something up or the recoil lug is not seating far enough and "tipping" the action towards the rear putting it off angle a little bit and binding it up.

Am I overlooking something? Any ideas to try?

Try candle soot on the action and place it in the stock to find where action may be binding. The Timney is slightly different than factory, so it may need some inletting also. Good luck

Inletting black is a lot simpler than candle soot. You've got an inletting/ bedding problem. Just another example of when "drop-in" doesn't "drop-in" and work like it should.

Easy fix. The front of the safety switch was hitting. I overlooked that because the safety seemed to switch just fine but it was hitting enough it was not letting it seat right.

It left a nice mark in the stock where it was hitting so 10 seconds with the Dremel and all is good.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.