Interesting Problem....Any ideas?

Doublezranch

My Remington BDL is chambered in a 338 Ultra Mag. The floor plate release is a knarled "button" on the inside of the trigger guard. Here is the issue, when I pull the trigger, the knarled release button rips a whole in my finger. No matter what I try, it still puts a small hole in my finger.

Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone have a idea on how to fix it? The gun is crazy accurate and I love shooting it. I just wish it didn't try to remove my finger everytime I shoot it.

Any help would be appreciated.

I replaced mine with a Williams steel floor plate . It uses a Mauser type release which is smooth on the inside of the trigger guard. You can also take a small file to try and take just the knurled crest of the button and put a smooth flat on it first.

If you're going to buy new bottom metal, you could go to a detachable mag, if that is something you'd consider an upgrade.

AJ

These are all excellent ideas. I would like to get rid of the hinged floor plate and replace it with a stationary plate. I had a detachable mag on a Sako rifle that I didn't like what so ever. The mag kept falling out everytime I shot the rifle, and I couldn't change the seating depth of the bullet due to the length of the mag.
I have 3 ultra mags and the 338 is the only one that pops my finger. I just shot a cow elk in WY. My buddy jumped up screaming after I shot. When I asked him what happened....he saw my finger bleeding and thought I had clipped it off. One of the funniest things I have seen in a while.

Thank you all. I really like this place!!

Given your OK with a fixed floor plate, you could file the latch button almost flush with the trigger quard with some careful work with a Dremel. Functionally, it would be the same as a fixed floor plate and keep the matching finish of the BDL. You could still open it if desired using a punch. Probably the most cost effective solution. Good Luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.