need ideas for m91/30 stock

hollywood88

First off my uncontrollable impulse to buy cheap old wornout guns struck again today. I just got back from working out of state for 2 weeks yesterday so i decided to swing by the local gunshop this morning to see if he had anything i couldnt live without and there she was. It was another old mosin nagant 91/30 that someone attempted to sporterize and apparently gave up on. The owner of the shop hadnt had a chance to price it yet so i asked him how much and he said 30 bucks to just get it out of his sight. Needless to say it is now sitting on my work bench. The stock has been cut off at the taper but at least it is a straight cut,the crown is shot but the bore is shiny, and the front sight is missing. So my plans are to cut back the barrel,remove the rear sight fora scout mount, and try to do something with the stock to make it look less....lets just say sad, and quicker to shoulder. Ive found rubber butt pads for it for cheap and also found pistol grips for it but not sure on those. So my main question is without dumping money into a new stock costing 3 times what the gun is worth what can i do to whats left of the original stock to make it feek better and look better

Prestons9159fittedtostockpillarandglassbeddeddrilledandtappedforscopemounthandlecutextendedandTIGwelded.jpg

Here is what the Boyd's stock looks like. That is probably your best bet.
Boyds' Mosin Nagant Socks

Fajen made them 20 years ago, but they are hard to find.

MosinNagantdrawingrelievestockforpillarsandTimneytriggerandrelievepillarfortrigger8-2-2011.jpg

Here is a drawing I have made on how to pillar bed around the Timeny trigger.

Here is my shpeal about sporterizing Mosin Nagants:

Since 2003, when I first started posting about pillar bedding MNs and shimming under the sear, I have changed what I do to Mosin Nagants.
I have concluded that for me:
1) Timney trigger is the best, adjust low and adds a good safety.
2) Bending the sear is the next best.
3) Shimming under the sear is inferior to bending the sear
4) The Hubber trigger is a waste of money and time.
5) Reducing the firing spring force is a waste of time.
6) Polishing the trigger where it touches the sear is a waste of time.
7) Polishing the sear where it touches the trigger is a waste of time.
8) Polishing the sear where it touches the cocking piece is a waste of time.
9) Polishing the cocking piece where it touches the sear is a waste of time.
10) I still pillar bed with 3/8" tubing by I use 1010 steel and not brass now.
11) I no longer mill and weld scope mounts together. I have concluded that the ATI mount with a third hole is good enough for anything.
12) The MN extractor relief cut and capricious receiver clocking is so much trouble that I will rebarrel more Mausers and Rem700 type rifles for myself than Mosins.

I have made some youtube videos on Mosin Nagant gunsmithing.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPn8IdNJ_SE]Mosin Nagant trigger improvements study 8-29-2011_0001.wmv - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEyS9Q_u10I]Mosin Nagant scope mounts modified and home made - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOjYro4w0Bc]Measure the torque needed to unscrew a 91/30 barrel after 73 years - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSmvBGYFUK4]Timney trigger for Mosin Nagant safety and force - YouTube[/ame]

Timneywithallenwrenchesandinstructions8-15-2011.jpg

Here is how I adjust the Timney trigger.

If your looking for a stock for the mosin you could always make one. That's what I did and I couldn't be happier. My length of pull is perfect now the palm swell fits my hand perfectly as do the grooves I inletted for my fingers to set in like some of the pistol grips. And it's a good bit more accurate now than it was mostly I assume due to the barrel being free floated and all I've got into it is under ten dollars and some time.
6836C01E-2DF9-4E67-B3D4-2EC71BB8AC72-2385-000003A8EAF77E4E.jpg

Also as far the trigger the timmneys are great but they'll run you 3 times what you paid for your riffle. I was fairly lucky as my trigger was pretty smooth and had no creep in it but was a bit heavy at 7.5 lbs. The upside is the mosins use one of the simplest triggers around and are fairly easy to work on. With a little work I got mine down to 2 3/4 lbs and smoothed it out a tad more. Plus it didn't cost anything. If your not comfortable doing it yourself don't do it. A local gunsmith quoted me $20 for him to do it so costs should be comparable by you

You might want to take a look at this new from Archangel a platform for the Mosin 91/30 as well as the M44 , [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oapv0tEq1kc&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Shot Show 2013 Archangel Mosin Nagant stock - YouTube[/ame]

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.