Trigger pull then late fire

Something else to consider is the way you are seating the primers. I had an issue years ago with a revolver were the primer was seated to deep to get fully impacted by the firing pin. The Rounds were loaded with the priming attachment on the reloading press. They have way to much compound leverage to "feel" the primer bottom out properly and the primer cup was crushed and sat lower than needed. Check and compare the firing pin strikes of the rounds that fired and the rounds that didnt. If you are new to reloading and have only loaded 1000 223 as your experience with reloading check the primer dents. Mine fired on a second strike. I know use a dedicated bench mounted priming tool from rcbs that you can feel the primers bottom out better. If the primers look the same between the rounds that fired and the rounds that didnt change primers and start load development over.

The way I read this you hear the firing pin impact and primer goes off then slow burn on the powder correct?

If so it sounds as though what you are having is rounds cooking off due to powder that has somehow been contaminated most likely with sizing lubricant or some sort of oil.

The other possibility is powder that has been contaminated in the container due to moisture or again some sort of petroleum.

You really need to figure out exactly what's going on here before firing again.

My first reaction would be to switch to a different primer.

Is it possible that you have tumbling media in the flash hole? When I tumble cases I always go through them and run a wire through the flash holes to ensure there's no media stuck in them. A piece of corn cob media in the flash hole can cause a hangfire.

Not a slow burn but a late reaction, I'll try new primers but I'm not too sure seating is a problem. No debris in flash hole and I've tried re firing the dud rounds and they didn't go off but there is a nice dent in primers I'll try federal 215 and see if that will do the trick

Not a slow burn but a late reaction, I'll try new primers but I'm not too sure seating is a problem. No debris in flash hole and I've tried re firing the dud rounds and they didn't go off but there is a nice dent in primers I'll try federal 215 and see if that will do the trick

Unless I misconstrue your explanation, you might have a "hang fire" as noted in #11; check this out https://www.shootersforum.com/rifles-rifle-cartridges/56590-delayed-primer-ignition.html, esp #3.

Cheers!

Ed

The way I read this you hear the firing pin impact and primer goes off then slow burn on the powder correct?

If so it sounds as though what you are having is rounds cooking off due to powder that has somehow been contaminated most likely with sizing lubricant or some sort of oil.

The other possibility is powder that has been contaminated in the container due to moisture or again some sort of petroleum.

You really need to figure out exactly what's going on here before firing again.

+1 !!!!

This can be a very dangerous event and should be resolved before continuing.

It sounds like a squib load or bad powder. You can test the primers by just loading some without the bullet and powder to see if they are firing.

Or abandon the load all together and start with new primers and a different powder loaded in the middle of the minimum and maximum load data.

Also If a round doesn't go off (Hang fire) DONT OPEN THE BOLT give a few minutes.

J E CUSTOM

T, jumping in late, but I had a friend experience your exact problem. He bought fresh powder and different brand primers which solved the problem. Also I've seen reloads using brass still slathered with sizing lube that shot erratic at best. Good luck

I'm thinking its along the lines of primers, bought new powder. Need to get new primers. I tumble for at least 2 hours and use new media every 4th-5th time

I had the same problem with CCI 250 primers in my 30/378 Wea mag. Switched to Fed 215 and the problem went away. The Laupa is a big case, I believe the Fed 215 would be a good primer for this I read that . they were developed for the 378 Wea based cases.

I had the same problem with CCI 250 primers in my 30/378 Wea mag. Switched to Fed 215 and the problem went away. The Laupa is a big case, I believe the Fed 215 would be a good primer for this I read that . they were developed for the 378 Wea based cases.

I had the same problem with that same cartridge and later with my 6.5RUMLN. In both cases the 215 solved the problem.

I hope this isn't too far off topic...........

What is the proper safety procedure if you do experience
a "CLICK..........no fire" ?

Keep it pointed down range for a few minutes and prepare for the recoil.
I had a hangfire with a 12 gauge shotgun when I was about 11 or 12 years old.
It was terrifying when I thought about where the muzzle could have been pointed..

It's true, at some point you do have open the bolt !

Catch the round so it doesn't hit the ground (concrete) ?

A guy at Sierra told me they had one wait fifteen minutes. It was already on the shelf. For that reason after they come out of the chamber I never place them with the primer against something. When it happened to me the primer took off like a rocket. That is more excitement than this old man wants.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.