Trigger pull then late fire

Tvaughan

I've been reloading for about 4 months and I have over 1000 rounds of .223 under my belt so I stepped up up .338 lapua. I'm not sure what's wrong but when I squeeze off occasionally I'll hear a click then the power ignites. I've had 2 occasions where the powder didn't ignite at all. Not sure if it's primer choice or primer/powder combination. Flash holes were clear, I have a habit of pushing through holes with deburing tool after tumbling.
Using reloader 19 82 grains 225 grain Hornsby with Winchester wlrm primers.
Anyone know my problem? Thanks

I would try a different lot of primers. Could be a bad batch.
Was it really cold when you was shooting?

if that is not the problem get some spray break cleaner and thoroughly soak your trigger mec them add just a drop of fine oil (3in1, sewing machine oil or the like) I use 3in1 works fine for me. At the same time if you do not have a sonic cleaner soak your bolt in diesel fuel over night, you will be amaized at how much gunk will come out. After the soaking in diesel hang to drip dry, no lube needed after that.

One gunsmith says to use lighter fluid to clean the trigger group. It cleans it well and like the diesel on the bolt, leaves enough oil for smooth action without attracting dust.

FWIW,

Yeah but the gun only has 100 rounds through it, not very worn, I'm sure I'm screwing up somewhere in the reloading process I just don't know where

if that is not the problem get some spray break cleaner and thoroughly soak your trigger mec them add just a drop of fine oil (3in1, sewing machine oil or the like) I use 3in1 works fine for me. At the same time if you do not have a sonic cleaner soak your bolt in diesel fuel over night, you will be amaized at how much gunk will come out. After the soaking in diesel hang to drip dry, no lube needed after that.

i'd suggest you do not do that with the trigger .....

Yeah but the gun only has 100 rounds through it, not very worn, I'm sure I'm screwing up somewhere in the reloading process I just don't know where[/

It doesn't sound like a trigger problem to me as much as a firing pin release problem. I would pull your firing pin and thoroughly clean it as well as the inside of bolt.

As far as the trigger goes - blow it out well with some clean air.

Is the powder charge a starting load? What is listed as maximum?

Click bang is a hang fire.

The round that didnt fire, had the powder started burning and stopped? Is powder fused together?

Change to a different brand of magnum primer first.

Work up closer to a maximum powder charge, if current charge is light.

The neck tension should keep the bullet from moving when the primer fires. Check the case neck diameter before and after seating a bullet. On seating, the neck should expand .002" or more.

Clean the firing pin channel.

I'v e had this happen in a Savage rifle, but it was very cold (20 gredeez or so), click then bang, and one of em was a no fire, un-nerving to say the least. Found out later it was the CCI BR2 primers which are harder then most. I switched to Fed 210 and 210 M, that solved it. I would say try switching primers, dont get oil on them it will neutralize the compound. Primers are impact sensitive, so if that dont work, seek out help on firing pin, what type of gun?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.