1X Fired Brass THEN full-length sized??

As mentioned early, the chamber and load pressure determines sizing practices. certain rifles need full length sizing (For many reason) and other chamber/loads don't require anything but neck sizing. I will never TELL anyone how to size their brass because I don't know the quality of their chamber or the pressure of their load. That's why I recommend sizing only enough to function properly and achieve the best accuracy.

We are sometimes our own worst enemy and because someone says to do something,We do it. Some of my rifles require totally different sizing's and I set up for optimum performance in all areas for that rifle and don't subscribe to any one method. I do what the rifle tells me it likes the best. If a rifle needs a special set up for the dies, I first find out what i need to do to make the changes needed. Often, I use feeler gauges under the case head and once I have the needed dimension to determine the amount of sizing, I machine that much off the shell holder and test it, If all is well, that shell holder becomes a permanent accessory to that die set for that rifle and is marked so.

Other chambers will allow standard setting practices for dies and shell holders so locking down the die will normally give you what is needed. all of this information should be written down in your rifle loading data book.

Lastly, the type of duty the rifle in used should control the amount of sizing needed.

It would be nice if one method worked for all chambers, loads and uses, but in my experiences it has not proved out that way.

JUST MY OPINION

J E CUSTOM

Great post but I have to tell you that this stuff is WAY above my abilities, my requirements, and the time I have available to do it;)

My main question/concern is: "If I run brand new brass and 1X fired brass through my Redding Full-Length Sizing Die, will they essentially then be identical to each other, since 1X fired or new, they go through the same die before being loaded....AND most important, will they then have the same POI??"

That's all I care about, since I won't be neck-sizing, bumping shoulders, etc....just running them through a FL die and having at it.

Whatdaya think?;)

PS THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR TIME!!

Great post but I have to tell you that this stuff is WAY above my abilities, my requirements, and the time I have available to do it;)

My main question/concern is: "If I run brand new brass and 1X fired brass through my Redding Full-Length Sizing Die, will they essentially then be identical to each other, since 1X fired or new, they go through the same die before being loaded....AND most important, will they then have the same POI??"

That's all I care about, since I won't be neck-sizing, bumping shoulders, etc....just running them through a FL die and having at it.

Whatdaya think?;)

PS THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR TIME!!

No, the new brass and the resized 1x fired will NOT be the same even if both are FL sized. Close but not exact. New brass is usally SAMMI min, your FL 1X will likely still be slightly larger than SAMI min even after FL sizing, depending on die tolerances.

.All of the 1X brass will be the same and have same POI, which may be different than the new brass. Only way to know how much different is to load both, keep them separate and see how far apart they group. In all likelihood there won't be a real big difference but there also may be a big enough difference to matter to you.

No, the new brass and the resized 1x fired will NOT be the same even if both are FL sized. Close but not exact. New brass is usally SAMMI min, your FL 1X will likely still be slightly larger than SAMI min even after FL sizing, depending on die tolerances.

.All of the 1X brass will be the same and have same POI, which may be different than the new brass. Only way to know how much different is to load both, keep them separate and see how far apart they group. In all likelihood there won't be a real big difference but there also may be a big enough difference to matter to you.

+1 What he said.

J E CUSTOM

If I full-length size the 1X fired brass from my rifle, am I essentially negating the benefits of 1X fired brass and returning it back into SAAMI brass?
maybe! Only way too know is measure it before and after sizing it!

I'm a brass scrounger. I pick up all the brass I can from public ranges. Not only is it a great way too get free brass, but also useful tools for finding out what fits your chamber well. Brass fired in your gun should never really grow bigger than your chamber . But brass fired in a chamber bigger than yours will. I like too find a few that will not allow me too close the bolt without feeling shoulder contact or better yet won't allow me too close the bolt. Then I set my die with very little or no contact with shell holder and size ,measure and chamber a case . If its still a little tight I adjust the die and repeat with another unsized case until I have a case that just kisses the shoulder of the chamber. I measure it and note the dimensions and keep that case in my die box. As long as any future sized cases are the same size or a thousands or two shorter you'll have proper fitting and long lasting cases.

I chamber all ammo l take on a shoot/hunt.. lf l can find small base dies on the caliber l'm shooting l will use them too. Reliability FIRST

Last edited:
I discovered when trying to partially full-length resize all you do is manage to push your shoulder forward. You have to get all the way to full-length resize before the shoulder's pushed back and you can actually fit them into the chamber.
If you hold the case in the die for few seconds it forms better, in fact I see consistency when sizing this way. Struggled for years and never knew this.

To the OP you are better off using new brass and start from scratch. Brass has less spring back or as some call it a memory. Chambers dimensions can be different.

OP has probably gotten it fgured out in the last three years...since the thred was started.

Lots of zombie resurrections lately.
maybe ! LOL I didn't figure out my mistake on consistent shoulder bumping until last month, and I've been loading for 20 years !! 🤣

Last edited: