Traveling with smokeless muzzle loader

S96743

Hi all

been contemplating on getting into muzzle loading more so smokeless. Problem I have is traveling with components. I have read and heard of guys getting caught by TSA using shot shells to transport powder but I don't think it was smokeless.

for those of you who hunt and travel via air in the US with these rifles what is your advice?

I wouldn't travel with either gunpowder, primers or caps. It is crystal clear they are prohibited on an aircraft in either carry on or checked bags. The civil risk is enormous to you if you violate this requirement. (See link below) I would ship it ground HAZMAT through a bonafide shipper to meet requirements or order the components and have it delivered to wherever you are going or purchase it there if you can. Guys I know in same boat just order it and have it delivered WELL in advance of their arrival to be sure it is there in time. If you are traveling with an Ozonics unit be aware of the lithium battery transport requirements as well. Easily overlooked by you and batteries will be confiscated if not secured properly so who wants to lose a couple of $$$$ batteries? They can be transported but must be either in the device or secured according to lithium battery requirements. See link below. Unsecured lithium batteries can start a fire if their electrical contacts are not protected.

And yes, they are specifically looking for these types of materials and is it worth the consequences which may be at least being held until resolved (missing flights) and losing valuable time or even worse you need a lawyer ASAP.

TSA-Gunpowder

TSA-Lithium Batteries

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts