.40 cal Smokeless Muzzle Loader Loads

arbogb062

My new custom SML in .40 cal will be shipping today or tomorrow and I am looking for some loads mainly what powder works for others. I am located at sea level and temps vary from 20-75 degrees during the season if this matters. I will be smooth sizing the bullets and am hoping to be able to push 2800-2950 FPS out of a 28" stick.

Build:

ArrowHead Built
Rem 700 SA; trued, bolt fluted, larger bolt knob, pinned recoil lug
Bartlein 1:15tw finished at 28" fluted
MBM Beast 5 port brake
Gen 2LRMP Breech Plug
Smooth Sizing Dies
Trigger Tech Trigger
Manners EH5 Stock; bedded

I am planning on shooting the Pittman Aeromax 0.402" 312 grain bullets. https://www.pittmanbullets.com/aeromax-402-muzzleloading-bullets/

But i am not sure what powder or if anyone else has a .40 cal load that works. If anyone has a suggestion on another bullet that works well please let me know. Any and all advise is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 123456.jpg
    123456.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
My new custom SML in .40 cal will be shipping today or tomorrow and I am looking for some loads mainly what powder works for others. I am located at sea level and temps vary from 20-75 degrees during the season if this matters. I will be full forming the bullets and am hoping to be able to push 2800-2950 FPS out of a 28" stick.

Build:

ArrowHead Build
Rem 700 SA
Bartlein 1:15tw finished at 28"
Gen 2LRMP Breech Plug
Full form Dies

I am planning on shooting the Pittman Aeromax 0.402" 312 grain bullets. https://www.pittmanbullets.com/aeromax-402-muzzleloading-bullets/

But i am not sure what powder or if anyone else has a .40 cal load that works. If anyone has a suggestion on another bullet that works well please let me know. Any and all advise is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Nice rifle ;)
Luke will likely provide you with some information, but ask him anyway. I personally know of just one person shooting a .40 and I believe he's shooting the Pittman bullets. He's attending that 1,000yd smokeless match on the 7th.

H4198 is my go to for my 45cal smokeless. I've tried many powers over the years and all ways went back to it.

Just spoke to Luke.

He recommended IMR 4166 start at 70.0 grains. I have H4198 on hand so i may try it.

Also Luke stated the Pittman .402 312 grain bullets will smooth size and work with my rifle so i ordered 100 bullets and the wads from Pittman.

Anyone know how IMR4166 stacks up against H4198 in terms of accuracy, capacity, velocity, temp sensivitivity etc? It looks like IMR4166 (#95 on Hodgdon listing) is a little slower burning powder then H4198 (#89 on Hodgdon listing). Might try to get away with H4198 since i have it on hand.

Last edited:
Another question on finding a load for a SML... Does one node test like they would do with a rifle? Since all bullets start in the lands that isn't a factor, so just trying not to waste the $2+ each bullets with unnecessary load development. If you couldn't tell this is my first SML.

Another question on finding a load for a SML... Does one node test like they would do with a rifle? Since all bullets start in the lands that isn't a factor, so just trying not to waste the $2+ each bullets with unnecessary load development. If you couldn't tell this is my first SML.

LOL...…… I'm on my first, a custom built by Jeff Fisk. Now I can tell you for a fact, Jeff is an outstanding shot, and of course builder.
Although I have not yet done the node test for my .45, Jeff HIGHLY recommends that I do it. I will at some point, but **** does this rifle shoot with just what I've been playing with. I started out with BH209, which I must use during our dedicated muzzleloader season.... no smokeless allowed. My first 5 rounds after setting the zero, put all bullets through a single hole at 107yds.
Then I switched to smokeless and Jeff provided me with three different smokeless propellants to use, depending on bullet weight. I started shooting 300gr Fury's with Benchmark and was quite impressed at 500yds with 1.25" then made a mistake. I have since upped the charge a single grain and sent some on my 100yd range (107 actually). Although I have not been to the club to stretch it out, I liked the "feel", if there is such a thing, better.
I have yet to shoot the IMR 8208xbr charges he recommended.

I've been shooting only the Fury star tip2 bullets getting started. A heck of a lot cheaper. I used them last year in .50cal with my BP Xpress. They will hammer a whitetail.

I have shot 3031, Varget, 10X, and H322 with the Pittman .402 225 Accumax with good results. H322 is my go to with the 225. With the .402 300 Accumax I have shot a couple pounds of 4166 with excellent accuracy using Hankins ignition. I tried a reduced load of 4166 and direct ignition using 4166 and it was extremely dirty.

I know several guys shooting 4166 in their 40 with excellent accuracy.

What size barrel shank do you have?

I don't know of anyone shooting 4198 in the 40. My opinion is it is to fast of a powder.

Last edited:
Barrel dims are:

Contour from receiver face is 1.250" x 4.3", ST .950" @ 7.8", ST .830 @ 25.3"

Sounds like i need to switch up my powder...

4166 would be the powder to start with for sure. I have found it to be a little dirty in certain conditions. If the gun is going to sit for 30 minutes to an hour between shots for some reason run a bronze brush through it a few times from the breech end. I am not shooting a wad with it but some guys are shooting a wool wad.

^ Thank you. I ordered the wool wads just in case. Spoke with Kyle Pittman when i ordered the bullets and he stated he has seen where some guns cant hit a 4x8 sheet of plywood without the wads. Slap in the wads and they will clover leaf.

I am shooting N530 with a 250 Accumax, in my 40. Please be very careful with this cal. I have been told it is not as forgiving as the 45. You should read both Hanks and Dougs Message Boards. Lots of info on those sites.
Where did you find a smooth die for your 40?

I got a complete turn key package from Luke at Arrow Head Sporting Goods which included the smooth sizing die. I have not received the gun/package yet but it is supposed to be in there...

I build using Luke's breech plugs. They are amazing. No leakage of any sort. 45 cal going 3000 plus with 300 gr bullets. I don't do 40s because some states require at least 45 so that's what customers ask for. But I can tell you Luke's barrel contour and breech system can hold some serious pressure no problem. I've seen 325s going 3100 fps in a 45. H4895. Shep

Knowing nothing about these modern bolt action muzzle loaders, I'm curious how they're loaded and function. Also, I ran the ballistics on that load you're hoping to shoot in the rifle and was blown away. It rivals/surpasses most modern cartridge firing bolt rifles! I was surprised by the monster brake on the end but I guess a bullet that heavy on top of that much powder is gonna thump pretty hard. Good luck this season and getting your new rifle dialed in. Looks awesome.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.