.40 cal Smokeless Muzzle Loader Loads

I personally think the recoil is unbearable. I have to shoot customers rifles I build to make sure they perform to my standards. They beat me up even with a brake. They have about an equal power of a 460 wby mag. A 325 @ 3150 it's brutal. I load mine down to the 2500 fps range. Feels like half the recoil. At slower speeds you need to use a veggie wad while full power loads do not.i have also shot sabotage with 358 dia bullets and then the recoil is even less. They are very accurate and versatile rifles that can kill anything on earth.
Shep

I personally think the recoil is unbearable. I have to shoot customers rifles I build to make sure they perform to my standards. They beat me up even with a brake. They have about an equal power of a 460 wby mag. A 325 @ 3150 it's brutal. I load mine down to the 2500 fps range. Feels like half the recoil. At slower speeds you need to use a veggie wad while full power loads do not.i have also shot sabotage with 358 dia bullets and then the recoil is even less. They are very accurate and versatile rifles that can kill anything on earth.
Shep
Do you by chance happen to use a PAST recoil pad?
They help immensely. I purchased one when I first starting shooting my BP Xpress and 180grs of T7. They have a couple different thicknesses pads.

arbogb062, I'm wondering how your load development went. Getting close to start to working with my rig, it's basically an identical copy. Planning to run the Pittman 412s as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.