New muzzle loader?

I'm not afraid to spend money on a good gun. Run lots of full customs. This muzzle loader stuff is just new to me as I'm not "into it" I'd guess you'd say. But I would sure like to learn more. It's one season up here where the weather isn't so cold. I'd also like a gun that's consistently accurate. My Encore to me was never what I would call accurate. Basically minute of deer at 100 yds.

Funny thing is, I've taken an awful lot of whitetail at 200 to 300yds with an Encore and NOT using smokeless propellant.
Dirtdevil is right about these custom bolts. Mine will put every CF shooter to shame at the club. But it ain't cheap shoot'n…..
Another tidbit…… don't put cheap mounts, rings and scopes on custom rifles and expect them to be accurate, let alone last.

Dad, R.I.P. always used to say, "If you don't have the money or time to do it right the first time, where will you get the money or time to do it over?"
Wish I'd have paid more attention to that earlier...….

I'm not afraid to spend money on a good gun. Run lots of full customs. This muzzle loader stuff is just new to me as I'm not "into it" I'd guess you'd say. But I would sure like to learn more. It's one season up here where the weather isn't so cold. I'd also like a gun that's consistently accurate. My Encore to me was never what I would call accurate. Basically minute of deer at 100 yds.
If money isn't an issue, then go full custom and be happy instead of just satisfied.
Personally, I'd stay completely away from what's called Direct Ignition. But that's me.
There are a lot of outstanding builders that can build you a top quality rifle, more accurate than 95% of CF shooters will ever shoot. The only limitation is the person on the trigger.

I don't know what direct ignition is? Is this a certain builders breech plug design? I believe my local gunsmith uses Hankins system. Are they good? Anything wrong with building off a savage? Or is the Remington better? I know aftermarket trigger, stocks etc will be easier to find for the Remington.

I don't know what direct ignition is? Is this a certain builders breech plug design? I believe my local gunsmith uses Hankins system. Are they good? Anything wrong with building off a savage? Or is the Remington better? I know aftermarket trigger, stocks etc will be easier to find for the Remington.
Hankins has both the module and direct ignition systems. As I stated, I would never consider direct ignition. It would be an absolute PITA for hunting if you needed a second shot. There's very little gain in fps with direct ignition, actually only about 50fps. I definitely recommend the modules.
There are guys that have built off both actions, but the majority build using a Remington 700 S/A.

Another thing you could consider, is trying to locate a used Remington Ultimate that someone got all p'd off about, because they didn't know how to get long range accuracy from it and want to dump it. There has been a ton of them converted to a .45cal.

I will keep a look out for a Ultimate. But up here even donor actions can be hard to come by. I just used up my last Remington SA on a 6 Dasher hunting gun project. It's frustrating when I see all this stuff for sale in the states and I can't buy it. I live 15 miles off the ND border. So close but so far away.

Savage made the ML10 which can use smokeless or black powder. Very accurate. They don't make them anymore but if you can find one used? I have one that I would part with but not shipping to Canada sorry.

Thanks for the offer. Yeah it's a pain trying to get stuff into Canada. I believe muzzle loader are not ITAR regulated so might be ok if I order a smokeless encore barrel. I will need to confirm before I order.

I was interested in building a smokeless ML, for a while, but I was noticing that many states dont recognize smokeless muzzleloaders as primitive weapons, for use during muzzloader seasons. Where can you use a smokeless muzzleloader during ML season? Dont mean to hijack the post.

I was interested in building a smokeless ML, for a while, but I was noticing that many states dont recognize smokeless muzzleloaders as primitive weapons, for use during muzzloader seasons. Where can you use a smokeless muzzleloader during ML season? Dont mean to hijack the post.

Here's the reality of a custom build...………….. just because a muzzleloader is built to shoot smokeless propellant, DOES NOT MEAN that it won't shoot BH209 or any other substitute. As a matter of fact, they'll shoot BH209 with heavy charges, well beyond what any production rifle is capable of, and more accurately at long range. They can be insanely more accurate than most shooters are capable of shooting them.

There are many states that allow the use of smokeless propellants during their muzzleloader seasons. Other states, or parts of the states, they can be used during the general seasons.

No differentiation here in Canada. So I'm not worried about going smokeless. My concerns are finding the parts/right parts. Also how safe are these guns? My local smith has built a few and they do shoot good. I know as with reloading anything you must be careful. I do reload for all my current guns.

No differentiation here in Canada. So I'm not worried about going smokeless. My concerns are finding the parts/right parts. Also how safe are these guns? My local smith has built a few and they do shoot good. I know as with reloading anything you must be careful. I do reload for all my current guns.
If you follow to the letter the recommendations of a reputable builder, use witness marks like you life depended on it, which it might, they are very safe, if, the shooter pays complete attention. Just my opinion, others may differ.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.