Traditional Stock vs Chassis System - Pros/Cons

hawk45

Can't decide if I want to go with a traditional stock or a chassis for this build.

Have any of you gone to the other side and/or come back to the other? What were your findings after running both systems for various hunting conditions (short range/long range/ packing/ etc).

Cheers,
Hawk

I went from traditional HS Precision to a Mcree chassis. Went back to a traditional Mcmillan A5. I cannot shoot well with a pistol grip stock. I feel that they were not designed for that purpose. A pistol grip forces me to put my thumb on the pistol grip. This causes some tension in my trigger hand (never a good thing). A traditional stock with a vertical grip like the Mcmillan allows the thumb to rest alongside the the stock or over the top of the stock where the thumb muscles are relaxed. This allows me to easily pull the stock consistently and straight back into my shoulder. I definitely shoot better with a traditional stock long range.

Had an AICS AX on a 300 WM. Couldn't get over the pistol grip either. It was also very heavy/bulky. Took it off and went traditional with an HTG. Much happier.

I liked that it folded but only need that if strapping to a pack and patrolling with another rifle. Not needed for me and hunting.

Went over to folders (McRee and Manners) and never looked back. There is a weight penalty, and the ergonomics do not suit everyone, but love them.

My favorite so far is the TF-1. I like the slimmer fore end and traditional stock.

I like that I can fit any of my rifles in my ar15 soft cases, that includes a 28" barreled long action, for transporting to and fro. For walking about I carry like a normal rifle with the butt locked into place.

If I needed something for high altitude I would just change to the full carbon model to save some weight.

I went with a KMW Sentinel which is a thumbhole stock, and has some similar features to a chassis as far as mounting action blocks, etc... Depends on the application. I wouldn't mind a chassis for a comp rifle, but something about a stock for hunting just sits better with me.

I love my xlr evolution chassis. The folder makes it fit in 'standard' size gun cases. No dbm needed, no bedding needed, mounting holes all over the handguard for picatinny rails and bipods. Qd sling mounts were already installed and the LOP is adjustable along with adjustable cheek wield. Pistol grip is actually very comfortable to me but to each his own.

Cody

Before you seriously consider going over to any of the chassis systems you really need to find some way to shoot one. If you are used to the ergonomics of a traditional stock you're probably not going to like shooting the chassis systems that are out there.

If however you shot an AR platform rifle for years and that's what you're used to it will feel like second nature.

I've shot both for so long I'm comfortable with either but having grown up shooting 700bls, an 870, and a really nice double the M-16 was like shouldering a tire iron when they first handed one to me.

I have an XLR Evolution and really like it. One other thing to consider is I had to get high rings to clear the front tube. This isn't a problem but I normally get my scope just above the barrel. I agree that if you are comfortable with an AR platform the Chassis system works well too. I don't hunt with mine due to the wight.

Thanks everyone for your input. I used to have an AICS chassis but was too big and klunky to lug around. I've noticed that chassis systems have come down in weight so was considering. Leaning towards sticking with a standard stock and keep things simple/streamlined.

Before you seriously consider going over to any of the chassis systems you really need to find some way to shoot one. If you are used to the ergonomics of a traditional stock you're probably not going to like shooting the chassis systems that are out there.

If however you shot an AR platform rifle for years and that's what you're used to it will feel like second nature.

Agreed. I'm just now replacing my xray chassis with a Manners on my 22 Creedmoor. I just had to try a chassis but I don't like the feel. I don't shoot many ARs so the chassis just doesn't feel right. Since the rest of my rifles have the same style stock as the Manners I'm going to stick with those.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.