Thumbhole stock vs traditional stock (?)

skywalker

What are yalls thoughts on a thumbhole stock vs a traditional stock? I have a 7mm mag and was thinking of a new stock for it, not sure if I should go with a thumbhole or not.

skywalker

What are yalls thoughts on a thumbhole stock vs a traditional stock? I have a 7mm mag and was thinking of a new stock for it, not sure if I should go with a thumbhole or not.

skywalker
It all depends on what is comfortable to you. just keep in mind that with a thumbhole stock getting off the grip, working the bolt, and getting back on the grip will take a bit of getting used to when it comes to that second follow up shot. Other than that a thumbhole stock puts your hand in a more comfortable position. ( to me anyway).

check your local gunshop and hole a few in your hand.

Thumb hole stocks are great for off hand or sitting and shooting. Prone or bench not so great. Its good for any shooting that you can keep your elbows to your side(tucked in). When you lift your elbows like too lay on the ground it lifts your palm off the stock. But that's me and you will have to chose for your self.

My favorite is the "open thumbhole", ie McMillan A3/A5 configuration -- best of both worlds. I hunt mostly with a thumbhole and shot competitively with one for several years, they do take some getting used to. I prefer them prone, sitting or kneeling but they are less than desirable off the bench or offhand for me. Most of my shots at game are prone though.

When I assembled my first "western" rifle, a 270 WSM on a Mauser action, I put a Fajen Thumbhole stock on it. Its still on it. God for any shooting position.

The thumbhole is my favorite configuration by far.

I have an A=5 being put on a rifle now. I'm not sure I'll like it.:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.