Boyds Ross thumbhole stock

brasshead

I have a 223 Remington with the plastic varmint stock that I am not fond of. I have been looking at the Boyds stock with the thumbhole,it looks pretty nice but I have not handled one. Has anyone had on or shot one before, whats the finish like?
I mostly shoot paper with a few coyotes and crows when I can. I'm just getting started in the long range game so going to use what i have for now.

Thanks for the help.

I've had a few and for the most part liked them. The ones I have/had did require some final finishing for both fit and finish but were a good place to start.

Did you glass bed yours? I did a search on here it seems people like them OK but nothing to special.

I've got one, no complaints. I would definitely pillar bed it for best accuracy. Also, make sure you are ordering the one with the vented forend that is made for heavy barrels. The sporter one has a very narrow forend and won't accomodate heavy barrels.

Yes I bedded them along with adding pillars. On the one I'm still using, I tried just using the bedding material (devcon) as sort of a pillar bedding as well. So far so good so I think it might have actually worked. I also refinished the stocks and for the most part once done, are a good solid stock that looks nice. There are certainly better ones out there, but for the money, I think they're fine.......

The varmint stock setup for a heavy barrel is the one I want. Is the finish not smooth? I could sand it and refinish with automotive clear coat. How heavy are these stocks and do they balance well?
thanks for the help

The finish was pretty good on the two I have. I put one on a 204 Savage and one on a Savage muzzleloader.

If you want a little more shine you can use some automotive polishing compound followed by a good wax and it will make it pretty slick. Not like auto clear, but still pretty darn good.

Here is my 204, it now wears a better scope and these pics were pre-polishing. Next up is Duracoat for the action and bead blasting the barrel late summer sometime.

I pillar and Devcon bedded mine and it has held up extremely well.

P5070001.jpg

P5070003.jpg

That 204 looks really nice! I think I may just order one of these stocks and give it a try.

thanks for the help.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.