Jim Shockey gen. 3 tripod pros verse cons

I finally pull the trigger and order the tall trigger sticks tripod. It should arrive around the 9/18, and will be taking it hunting for the last weekend of deer season. Will give the full report of what I think then. Geo4061 thanks for finding the weight of the tripod. I really wanted to use my aluminum manfrotto tripod but when I put it on the scale it would be closer to 7.5 pounds with head and pig saddle.
Thanks to all for the input.
Jason

Jason that was from my very accurate bathroom scales(HaHa). Anyway I can see why you were looking for a better tool. 7.5 pounds is way too much for a walking stick. Good luck on your hunt. Post us some pics.

NightForce is coming out with a new tripod where you can remove the legs to use as dual walking sticks or use one as a monopod.

I use a Manfrotto Carbon Fiber tripod. Light, but very strong. There are gun cradle rests you can buy on ebay for really cheap that will adapt to any tripod quick detach plate with 1/4-20 threads so you don't need to limit yourself on choices to only "shooting pods". Just get any tripod you want and buy an extra quick detach plate for the gun rest. Use the other for a spotter or binoculars.

Here's a link to one:
https://m.ebay.com/itm/Tourbon-Rifl...736288413?epid=2255052379&hash=item3ad841b69d

Doesn't take me long at all to deploy my tripod because when I'm hunting, I usually leave all 3 legs extended (but not spread out) and use it as a walking stick. All I have to do is spread the legs, adjust the center post height (if needed) and I'm ready to rock. My CF Manfrotto has been beat to death and ran through hell in the high country over the years and it still works perfectly. Get what you pay for I guess ;)

As far as Jim Shockley goes, that jacka** will put his name on anything for a dime. Just because he endorses it doesn't mean it's good quality. Most of the junk he puts his name on is made in China...

Why the hate for Shockey?

Also, I find it interesting that you put a dig in on Shockey for endorsing junk from China all the while posting an Ebay link with a piece that is.....made in China o_O

Back to the topic at hand, I've used my Primos sticks for 7 years worth of hunting. They have been in the mountains, hills, treestands, and ground blinds. I use mine for a walking stick. The trigger adjustment is very fast. Only problem I've had with them is the rubber band at the bottom that holds the legs together when walking broke last year in New Mexico.

Same issues as KIA above. They suck in rain and internals rust quickly. This is all because the manufacturer uses a small steel teardrop cam inside the leg tubes that is by no means rust resistant and rain just flows in freely to when the cam is. Pretty stupid design. They are pretty nice, if you NEVER hunt in rain! But I think plain shooting sticks are lighter and quicker to deploy.
No, regular shooting sticks are certainly not easier or quicker to deploy nor will they ever be as quickly or perfectly adjustable as the trigger sticks especially on uneven ground.

I'm not the most coordinated guy on the planet and I find them infinitely more adjustable and quickly deployable under any circumstances.

Of all the accessories I've bought over the years I've found them to be among the best money I have spent.

WildRose, Thanks for the good news about how easy to deploy. I found myself buying shooting sticks like buying pistol holsters, I never found one I really like. I'm hoping this will be the last one for a while.
Jason

WildRose, Thanks for the good news about how easy to deploy. I found myself buying shooting sticks like buying pistol holsters, I never found one I really like. I'm hoping this will be the last one for a while.
Jason
Jason I've got no interest here at all other than trying to share accurate information and I'm always happy to try and help.

If I could I'd change the design and materials a bit but for what they are and compared to what else is on the market there's just nothing I've I've found that even gets close.

No, regular shooting sticks are certainly not easier or quicker to deploy nor will they ever be as quickly or perfectly adjustable as the trigger sticks especially on uneven ground.

I'm not the most coordinated guy on the planet and I find them infinitely more adjustable and quickly deployable under any circumstances.

Of all the accessories I've bought over the years I've found them to be among the best money I have spent.
Nothing is for "certain" in all aspects and modes of use. I find shooting sticks easier and quicker to use. But of course that "certainly" does not mean all will. I actually hunt steep mountain terrain in the coast range of Oregon. Not Texas ranch land or the savanna's of Africa. In steep mountainous terrain. I find shooting sticks quicker, lighter and more helpful. I make my own that are about A little over 6 ft tall and loosely lashed with thick synthetic rope. The rope slides rather easily up and down the shaft of the two sticks and is quickly adjustable for standing sitting or nealing on a steep mountain slope. Certainly not for everyone but certainly not interior to a trigger stick in any way. The only certain think in life is taxes and death.

Nothing is for "certain" in all aspects and modes of use. I find shooting sticks easier and quicker to use. But of course that "certainly" does not mean all will. I actually hunt steep mountain terrain in the coast range of Oregon. Not Texas ranch land or the savanna's of Africa. In steep mountainous terrain. I find shooting sticks quicker, lighter and more helpful. I make my own that are about A little over 6 ft tall and loosely lashed with thick synthetic rope. The rope slides rather easily up and down the shaft of the two sticks and is quickly adjustable for standing sitting or nealing on a steep mountain slope. Certainly not for everyone but certainly not interior to a trigger stick in any way. The only certain think in life is taxes and death.
I'm well aware of how shooting sticks work, I used them for years.

Obviously you've never been either to Africa or Texas if you think both are flat. Much South Africa is covered with steep mountains and hills and most of Texas is anything but "flat".

The trigger sticks are instantly adjustable on all three legs so that on any terrain they can be quickly depoloyed, levelled, and plumbed in a matter of seconds with just a little pressure and pulling the trigger. They lock into place instantly when the trigger is released.

When I killed my Kudu the angle was fifty degrees straight up and just over 350yds adjusted for the angle.

It took me less than 10 seconds to have the trigger sticks tripod set up perfectly for the shot.

I've used them extensively in very steep terrain hunting deep canyons and in the Rockies as well. They do exactly what I want them to do wherever I take them.

Well lived in TX or 5 years and been over most of the state. Never been to Africa. But I do have a 3 legged trigger stick and IMO they kinda suck on steep hillsides.
If that were true, I'd have expected better of you.

If you can't figure out how to use them on a steep hillside, the problem is not with the product.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.