Pros and cons for 300 Win Mag and 338 Lapua Mag

TheRioKid

Hi everybody,
I have been a member for a while and love reading the info here. My two longest range hunts were a Mule deer at 540 yds and an Oryx at 564 yds. Both successful. I don't really hunt a lot at long range, but do make sure I am capable and well practiced if the need arises.
My brother in law and I along with a few friends shoot on our long range field. We have the room to take targets out beyond 1600 yds, but I tend to stay around 500 - 700 yds with my current setups.
I may start stretching my legs a bit more and the wife approved a new rig. I am not concerned with platform opinions as I am pretty sure which rig and optics I will be ordering. What I would like is to hear your opinions on the 300 Win Mag vs. the 338 Lapua Mag. Both in shooting steel and Mule Deer / Elk hunting. Cost is not a huge factor as I know which will ring up faster. Mainly looking for your thoughts on recoil, reloading, and range limits.
Thanks much,
TRK.

Thank you.
I did try a search prior to posting the question, and didnt come up with a good thread that tackled the question.
Thanks again.

A lot of what you are asking is platform dependent. Give some more info on the type of platform that you are planning on using. The total overall weight or the use of a brake makes a lot of difference.

300win pros and cons:
Pros: flat trajectory, can kill anything any North America and wide range of bullets to choose from.
Cons:recoil, noise and cost of ammo.
Experience:non

I would check out the .300 RUM its a great round and Remington has some sweet new reduced loads for it

Both are great it's just personal preference,,, the Lapua will stay supersonic forther down range (especially with the 285-300gr bullets) however costs rise and weight of a rifle could be an issue. I own a Lapua and love it but it's not for everyone. Have you considered a .28 Nosler ????

I agree with cjuve that platforms that are used for 300 win mags aren't recommended for the Lapua sized cases. Mag lengths, types, COAL, bolt size, and weight all are considerations and need careful thought. BC's favor the 338 but can be made level by a 300 at higher velocities. The win mag is not quite capable of those velocities though. If you go 338 lapua, then a CIP length mag+ is a must. Having a mag well cut for that would be larger than required for the 300 win mag. I bet you could feed the 300 win mag out of a 338 CIP mag with some tweaks.

I would git a 300wm. more hunting type bullet options, less recoil, lighter rifle and great hunting round from 50-1000yds. good from hogs to moose.

As an introduction to ELR, out of the two cartridges you listed I would pick 300WM. It is simply the less extreme choice and will be easier for an ELR-beginner to master. It has more than enough capability to scratch the itch at 1600 yards without moving to the much more extreme 338 Lapua. You didn't mention what cartridges you currently shoot, but if you don't have a lot of magnum experience, the Lapua will definitely highlight any deficiencies in shooting technique.

I agree with what has been said on the COAL considerations for the Lapua, and that is why I am not a fan of the Lapua in a repeater. A 300 grain bullet in the Lapua loaded to SAAMI length takes up tons of case capacity. The forthcoming 329 Berger will only exacerbate this problem. This issue can be somewhat mitigated by a CIP length magazine system (an AICS CIP magazine has an internal length of 3.76"), but that still isn't enough room to load the 300/329 grain bullets out of the powder column. For this reason, I believe the Lapua is best suited to single shot rifles with long throats. You are leaving performance on the table with a magazine system, but still incurring the massive costs associated with the Lapua cartridge (recoil, brass/ammunition prices, .590" bolt face requirement, etc).

If you want a repeating 338, I would highly recommend you look at the 338 Norma instead of the Lapua. Since the Norma case is shorter, you can load the heavies out of the powder column and still fit in a CIP magazine. And now Lapua is making brass for the Norma magnums, so the brass quality advantage held by the 338 Lapua is eliminated. My 338 Norma Improved and a 28" barrel will easily push 300 grain Bergers above 2900, so you will give up nothing in performance to the 338 Lapua.

All of that being said, my choice for a 1600+ yard cartridge would be the 300 Norma (or better yet, an improved version). It will give you ballistics that are superior the the 338 Lapua out to 1600 yards, with less recoil to boot. And Lapua brass!

A 338 almost requires a brake but a 300 doesn't. My 338 NM with a brake is very comfortable to shoot and probably the best shooting gun I own at the moment. Fits nicely in the CIP mags with room to spare.

For the OP, its just easier to use a 300 win mag than complicate ones life with a 338 beast. Maybe complication is what you are looking for though??

If 338, I'd look at the 338 Norma for a repeater. Lapua will offer brass in 2018 for it.

I'm doing a 300 Norma this year. I already have the 300 Win. I will probably find myself shooting the 300 Win more but I wanted a little step up in performance.

I like the numbers on the 300 Norma in the article that was forwarded in this thread. When I tried to look up load data, i see it isnt listed in any of my manuals. How hard is it to find reputable reloading data for the cartridge?

^^^It's not hard at all. Sniper's Hide has a plethora of good information in their Reloading Depot. I can give you starting points for 215 and 230 Bergers.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.