"Traditional" LR Muzzle Loader - How?

In the very first Creedmoor shoot, which were the greatest ML shooters of their day, the shooter that won the competition shot a Remington Rollingblock. He loaded the powder in the cartridge from the breech, BUT loaded a patched bullet from the muzzle.

At the range you want to shoot requires very good vernier sights.....assuming you have young eyes :)

I am well into the scope era with my eyes.

edge.

Jes
Had you though about a falling block like the sharps or the browning 1885 ?

The reason I brought this up is the distance that you want to shoot.

Even though the muzzel loaders are very accurate they have trouble competing
with the breach loaders at long distance.

I have a 45/110 Sharps and realy injoy shooting and hunting with it (It is legal in
most states during blackpowder season because it was designed before 1900).

As to realy long range I have just completed a 45/120 on a Browning 1885 high wall
with a 30" #8 taper 1 in 14 twist Lilja barrel for 500gr + bullets and a 30" Leatherwood
Malcom 6x scope with 200MOA vertical adjustment and 100MOA windage adjustment.

With this setup I should be able to shoot close to 1600yrds (-202MOA ) and 800yrds
in a ten mile an hour wind 100+MOA.800yard energy=1028.3ft/lbs and 1600yard energy=
582.3 ft/lbs.

I have not gone to the range with it yet but as soon as I do I will post pictures and
the accurace results.

Just a though, If your going to spend money on a muzzle loader then this would be a
better choice in my opinion and would still be Very traditional.

J E CUSTOM

I'd like to make my next project a "traditional" long range muzzle loader. I've seen a number of threads about using sabots with in-lines. That just doesn't interest me. I'd like to start with my set trigger TC Renegade add a new barrel and perhaps a more traditional scope like the "Leatherwood". My goal would be to build a muzzle loader with which I can hunt comfortably and perhaps do a bit of target work between 400 and up to 600 yards. From what I've read about the Whitworth, it should be do-able. Am I on a reasonable quest - or just chasing and unrealistic vision? Any comments or suggestions?

I've been thinking of building a Baker Flintlock. This is an English gun built around 1700 or so. Supposedly the first sniper rifle. It has Colran barrels and the lock is cast from the original. Only problem is the lock comes in a kit and it has to be drilled, and the frizzen, springs etc. have to be hardened and tempered. I have built a few locks but the springs were already tempered. This could be a challenge but the rifle is supposed to shoot 2 MOA at 200 yards. Might have to build it just to see if it really can do it.

By the way, Getz barrel company makes a good round ball barrel 1:66 twist that is swamped to reduce wait. I have one on the flintlock I built several years ago.

This is where you can find information about the Baker Flintlock.

http://www.therifleshoppe.com/714_Full_Stock_Bay.gif

its funny to see Traditional muzzle loader as that means different things to different people but i shoot a peddersoli rolling block .54 and have started groops at 300 yards of 6 inches and now with my bodine creedmore vanier sight have 6inch groups at 500 i use triple f powder and TC BORE BUTTER with cotton patch and self molded 525 gr lyman minnie mag bullets that my kids think its fun to hepl me cast, i use nomber 11 magnum percussion caps because i have less unbernt powder with them than any others that i have used and as i fine tune the way that i shoot and the load that i shoot i have no dout that i will be able to take out a playing card at 700 or even up to a 1,000 yards but for me and this riffle it will be open sights and it will be what i consider traditional.

I am brand new to muzzleloading. i want to build a rifle that i can use for most of colorado, deer and elk. i have read many forums and found this one to be informative and common sense. i was most interested in BillR's comments about building a rifle. if i understood his post of '07 he suggested a "hawken" style breech, a tapered, heavy barrel at least 36" long, plus a lock thats fast w a fly on the tumbler, and a "good" trigger.
can anyone provide me more info, specifics or a POC that i can discuss my project with?
I am not in the market for a "pretty" rifle---i want functional, accurate to 200 yards and dependable.
i will appreciate any info i can get, and thanks for the time and access.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.