Tough way to go out. Mountain lion attack

According to the California Department of Fish and Wildlife their records show between 1986 and 2022 there were 22 mountain lion attacks in California with three fatalities. 11 of the attacks were children under the age of 10, none fatal, the attacks that proved fatal were against adults. see attached.

In an area I used to hunt in San Diego Co. I knew a Game warden. Told him I hardly see any deer around here anymore and I thought because of so many lions . He told me that the year before state trappers paid by tax dollars killed 24 lions in that area. There's livestock around there also. He told me that year they only killed 2. I said that could of been tag revenue for fish and game. He agreed . He said all employees he knows are for hunting lions and see the problems it's caused not doing so. I told him if I or my son was attacked by a lion I would sue the state for medical and not managing Mt. Lions..

Last edited:
Tragic and completely avoidable. I'm sure if a mountain lion or any other threat approached an LEO or wildlife officer they would kill it on sight. We don't have these pests here in SC, but if we did, and one threatned my homestead or anything else I cared about, I wouldn't give a **** what some bureaucrat said. I'd kill every one of them in my path and bait the rest for slaughter. God gave man dominion over all wild things, and that means eliminating deadly threats when necessary. In the free state of SC, they'd probably give you a medal for getting rid of them. A 12 gauge with #4 buck and a tight choke would do just fine. Many marauding packs of wild dogs on the hunting lease will attest to this.

Tragic story and my condolences go out to the family. This is a problem only solved by a harvest plan and we know in this state it will never happen. Lion sightings are so prevalent in the small hunting community for which I live it seems most here are not opposed to shooters silence. I have spoke with many Game Wardens who believe we should be hunting for them but it seems there opinions are made up for them. I will attend a local meeting next week to hear a gentleman with a Masters degree in Wildlife Biology tell us why the reintroduction of wolves into Northern Ca will be beneficial to the already declining Elk and deer population. Our chapter of the RMEF, CRPA, and other hunter groups hope to show up in force and hear this lunatic speak. Stay safe out there, Jason

Tragic story and my condolences go out to the family. This is a problem only solved by a harvest plan and we know in this state it will never happen. Lion sightings are so prevalent in the small hunting community for which I live it seems most here are not opposed to shooters silence. I have spoke with many Game Wardens who believe we should be hunting for them but it seems there opinions are made up for them. I will attend a local meeting next week to hear a gentleman with a Masters degree in Wildlife Biology tell us why the reintroduction of wolves into Northern Ca will be beneficial to the already declining Elk and deer population. Our chapter of the RMEF, CRPA, and other hunter groups hope to show up in force and hear this lunatic speak. Stay safe out there, Jason
For the last 35 years the wildlife in California has been managed by propositions and politicians. And your Dictator. It's a shame. It used to be a great place to live. I escaped one day...

Pretty sad. Pretty scary, too, that it attacked even though there were 2 people present.
According to the report, locals say it's not unusual to see 2-3 of them at a time. Sounds like an obvious case of overpopulation caused by the end of hunting seasons.

Thank you, Liberal politics...
We reap what we sew! So sad but true!

Just as California is lost, I now have concerns about Oregon. The long time sportsman friendly head of Fish and Game is retiring and the news states the new hire will be more "forward thinking". Scares the hell out of me that the new person will not be Hunter/fisherman friendly. They have already referred to us as the "hook and gun" crowd.

We've now got an overpopulation of cougar in Washington, Oregon and California because we're no longer allowed to hunt them the only effective way -- with dogs! Blame goes to the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) which poured millions of dollars into deceptive advertising to get a gullible urban population to pass laws outlawing hunting them with dogs! This won't be the last death and now wolves are spreading because of HSUS/Peta type animal rights extremist groups!

I'd much prefer to see a few grizzlies than a lot of wolves or big cats. Wolves reproduce exponentially, cats pretty darn fast, while bears do so at a much slower rate!

The best way yo solve these and many other problems in "blue states" has nothing to do with animal controlā€¦..well, at least not the 4-legged, fur bearing kinds! šŸ¤”šŸ˜‰ memtb
The only way to solve it is to vote those politicians out of office who support animal rights causes. That won't happen because Washington, Oregon & California are ruled by their urban populations and those population centers always vote Democrat. The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) is behind outlawing hunting all predators with dogs (and actually opposes all hunting) and the HSUS gives Democrats an 80% approval rating year after year!

Tragic and completely avoidable. I'm sure if a mountain lion or any other threat approached an LEO or wildlife officer they would kill it on sight. We don't have these pests here in SC, but if we did, and one threatned my homestead or anything else I cared about, I wouldn't give a **** what some bureaucrat said. I'd kill every one of them in my path and bait the rest for slaughter. God gave man dominion over all wild things, and that means eliminating deadly threats when necessary. In the free state of SC, they'd probably give you a medal for getting rid of them. A 12 gauge with #4 buck and a tight choke would do just fine. Many marauding packs of wild dogs on the hunting lease will attest to this.
I have a friend in mountain rest that has seen one there several times. They show up here in northeast georgia occasionally too. Most according to the game department come out of the population in florida. 2 have been killed in ga. By deer hunters in the last 20 years. Go armed when outdoors. I do. My dad killed 2 wild dogs while hiking our property back in the early 80's. The dogs have killed 2 retirees when walking one evening in ogelthorpe county. Wild dog packs are bad too.

Absolutely! Most voters have no clue about what they are voting for. And not just the wildlife aspect of it.

And they are swayed just by the wording of a ballot initiative. The wording of one law trying to outlaw "trophy" cat hunting would outlaw GPS or training collars on the dogs. The way it is worded though gives the impression that all training collars would be outlawed so even those used on upland bird hunters and cattle dogs.

They do not want to outlaw cat hunting. They want to outlaw all hunting and even pet ownership.

California had a harvest of around 300 mountain lions each year when they had a regulated season. Now they still kill about the same amount each year. Instead of reaping the benefit of license dollars they pay for someone to shoot them.

We must be united as hunters. Not just deer hunters or pheasant hunters but as hunters.