best 6mm bullet to preserve pelt of Mountain Lion

I know a lot of the coyote hunters on youtube that are filmographers prefer to use quick expanding lighter bullets.
They also prefer a quartering toward shot where they can hit the front shoulder and then have the bullet travel deep
back into the chest, liver, and guts.... If it makes it that far.

70g Nosler ballistic tip and 85g Sierra bthp.

A large cat may have a super frangible bullet blow up on the scapula or heavy rib. The ones I called in were within 50 yards, and they are bad about sneaking up right behind you, so consider your setup carefully. When calling, you had better be ready to take whatever shot, at whatever angle you are presented with. I have seen them come in and sit down, and others come in and take one look and disappear with an occasional glimpse between bushes as they are walking off. My calling rifle was a 22/250 AI with Sierra 55's and a 243 Win with Sierra 85g BTHP. Calling stands, we made ours 45 minutes at a minimum with fresh cat tracks in the sand washes. I put a Turkey feather on a string with an alligator clip on a low-hanging tree branch. Net Camo face mask and camo gloves, camo gun a given. I used a raspy, coarse hand call with deep guttural sounds.

We rode mules, and used hounds, also in Az years ago. 22 Mag, 40g Win Hp, Ruger Single Six. A 30/30 is like using a 458 Winchester magnum. Lions are rough on new calf crops.

Last edited:
The ones I called in were within 50 yards, and they are bad about sneaking up right behind you, so consider your setup carefully. When calling, you had better be ready to take whatever shot, at whatever angle you are presented with.

I'll be using an e-call a decent distance away so hopefully that significantly reduces the odds of one sneaking up on me.

With FMJ's on yotes etc...bullets go thru and thru critter runs off. You try like heck to ever locate them and in the mean time the poor bugger suffers cause one choose a pee poor bullet for the job...that's been my experience.

A 55 NBT or similar will work very well, results will be a lightning quick kill, slight fur damage and the critter goes down and out right now!
I don't disagree with you, however, most, it seems, cats are punched at close range, treed, or cornered with dogs, and those folks popping them with a myriad of bullets, weapons, and so on... double lung seems to work and they don't go far, again not saying an FMJ is the best way to "anchor" one, but... it does help on pelts if that's what they want. Like you, I'm sure we've killed our fair share of Yotes, me here and in Idaho when we lived there. With that said; I've had explosive bullets fail as well, yes... the rule of thumb would be to go with a violent expanding bullet to anchor them. If I'm not mistaken the bullet manufacturers were asked to make those FMJs for pelt hunters, seems like there really is no other usage for them. Yes, we both understand how unbelievably tenacious a Yote is, you sure have to respect that in them. Big cats I'm sure have a strong desire to live as well.
Just thinking out loud, Cheers

No experience with Lions yet, but I like the 87 grain Hornady BTHP bullets to save hide on coyotes. It usually makes two holes, but neither is generally large. My experiences with light NBTs and VMax bullets out of my 243 has been one massive hole, but it does kill them right where they are shot. I haven't had one go over 30 yards with the BTHP, and I haven't had larger than a 1" exit, even when shooting them through the shoulders. My $0.02

interesting, downwind huh? I would have thought upwind or 90 degrees
I have seen it worse with coyotes than bobcats. Coyotes almost always try to get down wind of the call.
I would think a situation where you could set the call up a good distance upwind with the idea the cat might come in from downwind
but still get you a shot.

You have to get pretty close to cats. Sardines in oil will attract cats, two cans in a dark sock, preferably two socks where legal to do so. IN some states, you can not use an attractant without a Trappers license.

Remember that an E caller does carry scent.

I shot some bobcats and coyotes with FMJ's, you loose them unless you hit a shoulder, spine, or head, in which case you have a real mess on your hand.

I would not worry about "pelt friendly" on a lion. A 223 with 55g Spt with 26.0-26.5g of Win 748 will do a great job and not tear them up. My favorite is the 55g Winchester SP, 55g Sierra bthp, sp, spbt, or Semi point.

If you shoot a lion and he runs off, wait 30 minutes before you go tromping through the bushes after him.