Torn between the 280 ai and the 7mm rem mag

I built a 280 ai last year with a 1-8 26" brux. I've not gotten it to it's full potential but I really like it.

My $.02's, I started with a 7RM, went to a 280AI to get more velocity, went to and currently have a 28 Nosler for even more velocity, all the while the cost of brass and bullets went up with each effort to shoot heavier faster bullets. The only thing I skipped in this evolution was the 7STW.......which I have recently done some load development for a buddy. Looking back, the 7RM shooting 168gr bullets was more than capable and killed plenty of game including elk out to 750 yds. The 7RM brass is easy to find, is relatively cheap, doesn't require fire forming, and loaded ammo is available ANYWHERE. IMO the 7RM with a fast twist is a fine choice.

Have a 280ai and had a 7mag. Like the 280ai better

I was frankly disappointed with the 7mag as a cartridge. I have a 338 win mag which just seems to get more out of the magnum case than the 7mag with heavier bullets .The 280ai is so close to the 7mag, is fun to load for, and is more efficient in my view for powder volume

As others have said get the twist right if you want to shoot 168s. My 1/9 won't shoot 168 Berger's to save it's life but shoots 150s of any kind .5 moa or lower

I have experiance with both, one AI and 3 RMs there is not a nicke worth of difference. They both will shoot and both are heavily dependent on twist as are all quality rifles. For a one mile gun, I would look at a custom made contoured barrel with a cut chamber using a new quality reamer. I would not buy an off the shelf factory production gun.

Keep in mind that a premium all copper bullet is longer than an equal weight lead core and length determines the twist rate to attain stability.
Ed

Have a 280ai and had a 7mag. Like the 280ai better

I was frankly disappointed with the 7mag as a cartridge. I have a 338 win mag which just seems to get more out of the magnum case than the 7mag with heavier bullets .The 280ai is so close to the 7mag, is fun to load for, and is more efficient in my view for powder volume

As others have said get the twist right if you want to shoot 168s. My 1/9 won't shoot 168 Berger's to save it's life but shoots 150s of any kind .5 moa or lower
Ironically the 338- 06 comes as close to the 338 Mag as the 280 does to the 7mm Rem Mag. About 100 FPS gain for both Mags

I'd be carefull about converting .270 and 30-06 brass. the .280 has a longer headspace and I believe it is longer. I'd go .280 AI. It theoretically more accurate because it head spaces off the shoulder, ballistics aren't far behind the 7mm RM, and you get one more cartridge in the magazine. Although, if you want extremely heavy bullets, I'd go 7mm RM with a fast twist and a long throat. Like they say in the racing world, "There's no replacement for displacement.".

I'd be carefull about converting .270 and 30-06 brass. the .280 has a longer headspace and I believe it is longer. I'd go .280 AI. It theoretically more accurate because it head spaces off the shoulder, ballistics aren't far behind the 7mm RM, and you get one more cartridge in the magazine. Although, if you want extremely heavy bullets, I'd go 7mm RM with a fast twist and a long throat. Like they say in the racing world, "There's no replacement for displacement.".

I think the straight .280 is an excellent cartridge and too often overlooked. The Ackley version even better offering very similar ballistics to the 7rm. IMO, if your going to shoot 160 class bullets, stick with the 280 AI. If you want to run 175-183s, go with the 7rm. The extra capacity of the RM will show in those heavier bullets. Go heavier than the 183s and I'd do a 28 Nosler or 7rum. This is what I would do as I own 284s, 7rm and a 28 Nosler. I believe there is a place for each of those cartridges. If only one gun to cover all those bullet weight classes, I would choose the 7RM.

My advice is to plan on buying factory brass (Nosler, in this case,) if you're going the 280 AI and not plan on fire-forming / making your own brass, as that is a double-barrel-wearing exercise and a time consuming process, and one that is very unnecessary, given other great cartridge options. Either cartridge will do (or the other options that others have mentioned in this thread.) Spend more time shooting and hunting and less time reloading and wearing out your gun and shoulder at the bench.

I think either will do what you want. Im weird in that I like the idea of more rare cartridges, but that's just me. Recoil definitely effects the shooter whether you believe it or not, but these two are quite similar. I don't think you can go wrong with either, juts depends on what you want to carry out in the field. Longer go Ackley.
Well said sir!

I have had both! I have wore out 2 7mm magnum barrels shooting long range. That being said when I build another 7mm it will be a 280 AI. I have built 5 280 AI's for customers in the last two years. They all achieve nearly 7mm mag numbers with a lot less powder. The increase in barrel life with the decrease in recoil, is enough for me.

My 7mag ran 168s at 3030 and 180s at 2905. My Ackley gives me 3015 and 2875 with the same bullets. All barrels are PacNor 9 twist 26 inches. If I wanted to use the new 195s I would rechamber for either 28 Nosler or 7LRM.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.