Top 10 Sniper Rifles

Britz,
Did you see the Desert tactical arms? SHORT!! switch barrel/caliber bull pup. 243, 308, 300, 338LM all on one platform!
Desert Tactical Arms - Stealth Recon Scout

308 is 31.5" with a 22" barrel, the 338LM is only 37.5" with a 26" barrel.

I have fondled the system!! VERY SWEET!
Cam

Ya I did see part of that one (I was making supper while watching so I didn't get it all) I wasn't too impressed with it since I am a left handed shooter lol!

I think snipers should have sniper rifles and infantry should have assult rifles. I've never been sold on "switch barrel ".

Britz,
Ya I'm a lefty also! Maybe Nick will make a lefty some day.

Limbic,
This is not like any "switch barrel" I've ever seen! You can switch caliber in less than 1 minute!
It is very dependable, learn to shoot the 308. (light recoil, cheap ammo, many bullet choices even frangible bullets) switch to 338LM and shoot 1 mile.

This rifle is short!! It is cal adaptable, It has a nice trigger (way better than my stock rem trigger)
It shoots great, standard rounds, lays flat on your back with side swivels,
Everybody I have seen holding this rifle has a sh!t-eatin-grin from ear to ear!
I know I can't hold it without a big smile!

You shoot the 308 and write down the 100 yard setting, switch to 338LM write down your 100 yard setting, The POI is different for diferent cal/barrels but when you put the barrel back and use the info for that cal/barrel your good to go. I've seen nick shooting the 308 at 500 yards, switch to the 338 barrel and make a cold bore shot @ 1600 yards on a 30" gong.

I know I cannot shoot my custom rifle freehand it's way to big and long, This rifle is easy to hold freehand, I cannot say how neat this thing is, you have to hold it to believe it!

Anybody coming thru my neck of the woods that want to hold it, just let me know!

I have watched this rifle develop so I'm a little bias,

Just so you know Britz, I get the first lefty, I called it two years ago!!!
Cam

No worries cam, you can have it. I don't have the $$ to get one of those ;)

No worries cam, you can have it. I don't have the $$ to get one of those ;)

I was just messing with Ya, when they make a production run DTA runs in blocks of 100 I think.
We both can wish!! so I'll put you down for number 2 ginny pig of the lefthanded ones!
We might win the lottery before the leftys production you never know!

Cam

I'm very impressed with the Accuracy International line. Would take one in any caliber. If I had a choice, I'd go with the .338 Lapua.

Here is my M40-A5 that Tactical Rifles built for me. It is a 308. They guaranteed .5 MOA but the test target they sent me was .23 MOA. I have been able to load it to duplicate their performance. 600 yard groups inside 6 inches are not hard on a calm day. Even for an old fly boy hack like me!

It took them six months to build the rifle but it was worth the wait.

M40-A5001-1.jpg

M40-A5002-1.jpg

Nice gun woolecox. I see it's built on a Rem. 700 action, but let's here some more bragging about the barrel and glass. We (I) want all the specs. If I can't have one as nice as yours, I want to live vicariously.

Nice gun woolecox. I see it's built on a Rem. 700 action, but let's here some more bragging about the barrel and glass. We (I) want all the specs. If I can't have one as nice as yours, I want to live vicariously.

Sure. Mine is an M40-A5 built on a Rem M40X action. Barrel is 24" Stainless (treated). Stock is McMillan A5 with adjustable cheek piece.
Glass is a Leupold MK-IV 4.5-14X50mm with TMR lighted reticule. MK-IV rings and 20 MOA one piece base.

It shoots sub .25 MOA (center to center) with 168 and 175 gr. SMK's. By far the most accurate gun I have ever owned or even shot.

Here is a link to a spec sheet that will give you all the details:
Tactical Precision Rifles Law Enforcement Military

Last edited:
That show was a joke! I would like to know where these guys get some of their info. The first rifle up (#10) was the M110 and the guy from Knight Armament said it is the first semi-auto rifle in 7.62 the US military has used in a sniper role. What? This guy must have been a comma for the last... half century.
Then they show a 7.62x39mm and say it's the 7.62Nato round the M110 fires and I knew they had no idea what they were talking about! Then some idiot from Lothar Walthar (I think) gets on there and said, " Most snipers say ONE SHOT ONE KILL. Thats not neccessarily the truth, it's the second or third shot that does the damage."
What??? I had to turn the channel. I hope you guys don't believe everything you see on TV...even from the self proclaimed experts!

That show was a joke! I would like to know where these guys get some of their info. The first rifle up (#10) was the M110 and the guy from Knight Armament said it is the first semi-auto rifle in 7.62 the US military has used in a sniper role. What? This guy must have been a comma for the last... half century.
Then they show a 7.62x39mm and say it's the 7.62Nato round the M110 fires and I knew they had no idea what they were talking about! Then some idiot from Lothar Walthar (I think) gets on there and said, " Most snipers say ONE SHOT ONE KILL. Thats not neccessarily the truth, it's the second or third shot that does the damage."
What??? I had to turn the channel. I hope you guys don't believe everything you see on TV...even from the self proclaimed experts!

I'm with you on that one Bravo. Our marksman are trained to knock them out with the first shot, no questions asked. I suppose they missed the pirates being taken out with three shots... one for each pirate!

Tank

My reply would be that the most accurate sniper rifle is custom built. My 338-378 w/ 300 g mks are grouping better than their claim of 16 " @ 1000 yrds. Not made to carry far @ 43 lbs but is possibly one of the most accurate rifles on the planet. Have most of my kills on video including... 976 yrd whitetail, 1,455, 1,788 and 2,190 yrds ( 1 1/4 ) mile. all one shot one kill except for 976, hit branches on the way in.

The M40 is the staple of what is coming up these days. i retired in 97 and when i was shooting on the teams we were working with Remington to find new toys. the 7mm and 300 were both looked at . but the issue came up to field expedience. when can you find loose 7mm and 300 rounds.
There was a Warrant Officer and Col that had the same to say.
Thats why even today there is still a RT shop by Remington at quantico.
I for one liked the 300 and carried a prototype in the 80s

I have built my 300RUM on the same format and i may not do 10 inch groups at 1000 but for a hunting rifle i can hit it if i see it and i can carry it all day.

my vote --TV is full of it and the 300 is best

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.