Too much taper?

Tikkamike

I am running a vx-3 lr on my lapua and want to put a tapered base on it to reach a mile+ my question is, is a 40 moa base like the nf one too much since my scope only has 90 moa of adjustment that puts me within 5 moa of being maxed out. or should I go with something like a 30 moa?

It depends on where you want to zero your rifle. With a 500 yard zero you would have no problems. but even with a 100 yard zero and only 5 moa left you shouldnt have any issues. Hell you look at it kinda like a zero stop lol

I have a different viewpoint than some on MOA bases and My recommendation is to
look at the effective range of your rifle (The point where it goes sub sonic is normally
the accuracy limit and try to find a scope and base combo that will allow for these ranges
of adjustments.

Two much base (MOA) will limit your short range ability the same as two little will limit
your long range.

If you are only going to shoot 1000 yards you will need no more than 10 to 15 MOA bases, especially if your not shooting any other distance.

20 or 25 MOA should reach the limit of your rifle and still have some adjustments left.

J E CUSTOM

JE
My typicall range is about 1200 that i play around at but want to shoot a mile or further just to play around. my 300 smk goes sub sonic at 2100 yards I believe. and with a 200 yard zero 40 MOA puts me at about 2000

I guess you already have the scope on its intended rifle.
If so I assume it is zeroed at your normal distance say 100 yards.
If you have got your zero marked on the turret simply dial down & count how many MOA you have until you run out.
That will tell you approximately how big a rail you can put on & retain that zero :)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.