Is this too much paralax??

kraky

Was at the range today with a buddies rifle working on some loads. He has a newer high end Leupold scope with 3.5-10 reticle.
I noticed by moving my head as much as I could side to side I was able to move the cross hairs totally accros a 3" dot at 200 yds. It would be my opinion this is too much....possibly 1" should be about max? Input please...should we call Leupold??

Was at the range today with a buddies rifle working on some loads. He has a newer high end Leupold scope with 3.5-10 reticle.
I noticed by moving my head as much as I could side to side I was able to move the cross hairs totally accros a 3" dot at 200 yds. It would be my opinion this is too much....possibly 1" should be about max? Input please...should we call Leupold??

If its a fixed paralax scope theres only 3 options that I know of to try. If the eye piece ''focus'' is clear and sharp and you still get paralax, that eliminates one of them. Try to find out where the paralax is set to from Leupold. If you cant get the cross hairs steady at that range then you can get ahold of Leupold and they can re-set the paralax.
Only other option I can think of after that is to sell it. And with a Leupold, finding a buyer might take all of 5 seconds.
Good luck

For LRH any parallax at any distance is too much. Add that 3" of parallax to mirage and things get way out of wack.

Fixed parallax scopes have been reported to be manufactured parallax free at 150 yds. If so, 3" @ 200 is out of spec.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.