Too much scope?

I can get rock solid with a 20X on a 7.5 pound rifle over my pack or on a bipod either one. I think it's a matter of practice and familiarity with your equipment.

If moose are on the plate I might look at one of the .30 calibers but then again I like the .270 calibers too. The right bullet in the right place is the most important IMHO.

Bob

Bob,

I'm impressed. I shoot F-T/R at 600 yards about twice a month with a 16# rifle and an 8.5x25 scope. The last time I checked I had a pulse, as most human beings do. Maybe I better up my blood pressure medication and get some more trigger time. Thanks for the hint.

Regards,

walkinhorseman

Bob,

I'm impressed. I shoot F-T/R at 600 yards about twice a month with a 16# rifle and an 8.5x25 scope. The last time I checked I had a pulse, as most human beings do. Maybe I better up my blood pressure medication and get some more trigger time. Thanks for the hint.

Regards,

walkinhorseman

I don't squeeze on my rifle too hard, take my BP meds and try not to drink too much coffee. I don't shoot competition and I don't get in any hurry to break the trigger. I can notice my pulse but the movement is so slight it's not a problem. A 12X scope or a 3X for that matter won't make your pulse have any less effect on the rifle, the movement is still there, unchanged, it's just harder to see. I prefer the higher magnification for more precise aiming.

Bob

Thanks for the replies.

I suppose I should have pointed out that I'm not new to hunting and shooting...just new to 'long range' hunting with high powered optics and there seemed to be a alot of knowledgeable folks on this forum that I was hoping to share information with.

I shoot a lot and have done most of my hunting the last several years with a williams peep sight and a 4 power scope inside of 100 yards, so i was hoping for some information from people experienced with scopes in the 6.5-20x50 range and their viability in the field together with a good setup for them.

Someone replied that a 6.5-20x50 scope may be an unblanced on a 7.5lb sporter rifle and this was my main concern with the scope i just bought. I am also considering a Sendaro SF II in 7mm mag instead of the 270 wsm sporter however the sendaro is quite cumbersome with the 26 inch barrel...I'd much prefer a 24 inch pipe on a 7 to 7.5lb rifle rifle with a bipod if it's viable.

All comments appreciated...got the scope already now just need the rifle for it!
2" of barrel is not going to make the sendero more cumbersome in the field than the 24" sporter.

Generally though the heavier rifle with the longer barrel, all else being equal is going to be more accurate and give you higher velocities and thus more energy on target down range.

That is why you will see very few of us carrying anything on a Long Range Hunt with shorter than a 26" bbl or less than an 8lbs rifle.

You can get by with about anything out to 600yds, but from there on out life gets a lot more complicated.

LR is simply a different game.

"A 12X scope or a 3X for that matter won't make your pulse have any less effect on the rifle, the movement is still there, unchanged, it's just harder to see."
++++++++1............All sorts of movement show up in high magnification. You can not correct or compensate for what you can't see.

Our group of guys, most years kill between 10 and 15% of the elk killed in a large unit in MT, most die to a 270 cal or smaller. My 270 WSM shoots a .650+ BC bullet with over .300 section density over 3000fps easy, the bull I smoked this year at 865 was hit with over 1600ft lbs of energy at 2120fps, one bullet cleaned out a large path through the liver and one lung I shot him again even though it was not needed through the lower shoulder and the bullet cleaned another path clean through him. At worst that's right with a 7mag with the best bullets it can shoot so just how is that inadequate????:rolleyes:
The only elk that was lost last year was shot with the largest cal an 8mm mag. and the most shot up elk I've seen was done with a 338 Win but those had ZERO to do with the cal they were shooting!!!!

i shoot a 270wsm with 140 gr berger. at 865 i'm like 1600 fps and 850lbs how are you at double that?? my muzzle velocity is 3080fps.

MPBR, I just bought a Vortex viper PST 6-24-50 FFP scope and mounted on a Remy 700 LR model in 7mm and the power of the scope is great. I live in Alaska and shoot numerous calibers up here. Just got into LRH and its all about practice and placement with a comfortable gun that fits your hunting style. Me personally, I would go with the Sendero and buy a nice pack to haul it. Just my .02.

....This season I'm going to be trying some different tactics and hunting wide open clear cuts on brush edges where I may need to make 200-600 yard shots. I also have a Western moose/elk hunt planned next year so have decided to setup a really true long range capable rig. This rifle will be for sitting and waiting for game to come to me.
I already purchased a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 PA...now I'm wondering if it is too much scope for practical hunting purposes. I'm just wanting to try something with higher magnification, practice long range shooting and be able to drop a deer at 500+ yards..I'm thinking of putting it on a Savage 14 American in 270 WSM...not a true 'long range' rifle, its a sporter but I like the blued wood look and its handy enough to hike with if I have too.
Thoughts or suggestions? Is this a good scope and rifle combo for my intended purposes?

Thanks

I think if you can establish consistent accuracy with a bullet that performs on the game you will hunt at your max range, your set -up will get the job done. Years ago, I pretty much evolved to long range hunting in similar fashion as yourself. Your question is a good one. For 500-600 yard work I ended up with a 4.5-14x40mm scope which worked successfully at that range and kept a semblance of balance to my sporter weight rifle(pictured in my avatar). I tend to do a lot of carrying, even with my LR rigs. When I increased my range, my barrels increased in diameter, my scopes increased in power and objective size., and my total rifle weight increased a couple of pounds. As with all of us, your particular preferences will evolve through experience.

MPBR, hope you bought that Savage md14/270wsm , it's a Fine choice for what you want to do,along with your scope choice. I've got the same rifle and she'll run with any stock 7mag and I've owned them to, hope YOU come back to our forum and tell us about your hunts,betya that 308 was a great jump up from that 30-30 not dissing any of em, but a lite speed jump to that 270wsm !!! regards and come Back ,jjmp

Our group of guys, most years kill between 10 and 15% of the elk killed in a large unit in MT, most die to a 270 cal or smaller. My 270 WSM shoots a .650+ BC bullet with over .300 section density over 3000fps easy, the bull I smoked this year at 865 was hit with over 1600ft lbs of energy at 2120fps, one bullet cleaned out a large path through the liver and one lung I shot him again even though it was not needed through the lower shoulder and the bullet cleaned another path clean through him. At worst that's right with a 7mag with the best bullets it can shoot so just how is that inadequate????:rolleyes:
The only elk that was lost last year was shot with the largest cal an 8mm mag. and the most shot up elk I've seen was done with a 338 Win but those had ZERO to do with the cal they were shooting!!!!
I hate to point out the obvious but you guys are far from novices and quite capable of putting where it needs to be every time.

That makes all the difference in the world. Someone that's killed more elk than I'll likely ever see over the rest of my hunting career needs no advice on how to get it done.

I don't squeeze on my rifle too hard, take my BP meds and try not to drink too much coffee. I don't shoot competition and I don't get in any hurry to break the trigger. I can notice my pulse but the movement is so slight it's not a problem. A 12X scope or a 3X for that matter won't make your pulse have any less effect on the rifle, the movement is still there, unchanged, it's just harder to see. I prefer the higher magnification for more precise aiming.

Bob
You're moving the same amount whether you have a 4x or 30x scope. It's just that at higher magnifications we notice it more and a lot of guys will then try to fight it more causing them to get into a spiral that is self defeating.

Also, just because your scope will dial up to 20-25x or more doesn't mean you need to.

It's nice to have the extra power if for no other reason than to save you having to carry a spotter or big pair of binos but I try hard to remember to dial it back a bit when it's time to shoot. Rarely do you actually need more than 10x to get it done.

The only time I've found myself flat having too much scope was on my Africa trip. The 6.5-20x50 MKIV was just too much for the short range stuff in the bush.

A guy would be hard pressed though to have too much magnification in a real hunting situation if they have a 3-4.5x on the bottom end.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts