am i thinking too much of the .308

85grNBTat3500fps,

There is a huge difference between shooting an enemy and shooting AND killing AND finding a game animal at 1000yds.

AJ

85grNBTat3500fps,

There is a huge difference between shooting an enemy and shooting AND killing AND finding a game animal at 1000yds.

AJ

AJ,

I totally agree with you and I am sorry if I made it sound like I was saying the 308 Win is a viable 800-1000 yard game round. What I am saying is that given the proper bullet,load,rifle and shooter(having practiced a lot at distance) the opening poster should have no problem shooting game 350-500 yards with the best of everything(load,bullet,rifle and shooter). Shooting deer sized game at 350-500 yards is well within the 308's abilities, 1000 yards no. I was trying to do was show that people who do look down on the 308 for distance should look at what the military snipers are capable of doing using the 308Win(7.62Nato). Sorry once again for any confusion.

Andrew

AJ,

I totally agree with you and I am sorry if I made it sound like I was saying the 308 Win is a viable 800-1000 yard game round. What I am saying is that given the proper bullet,load,rifle and shooter(having practiced a lot at distance) the opening poster should have no problem shooting game 350-500 yards with the best of everything(load,bullet,rifle and shooter). Shooting deer sized game at 350-500 yards is well within the 308's abilities, 1000 yards no. I was trying to do was show that people who do look down on the 308 for distance should look at what the military snipers are capable of doing using the 308Win(7.62Nato). Sorry once again for any confusion.

Andrew

No problem, my bad.

AJ

The 7.62 is not highly thought of by military snipers(none that I know of) as a long range round. It is a very accurate(capable) midrange sniper round. It isn't the only round the M24's are chambered for. The M24 is a long action and can be chambered for the .300winmag. The Army is paying (can you believe) $4000 to convert some to meet the needs of current engagements in the Middle East. The max effective range of a 7.62 M24 is approx 800meters shooter/ammo dependant. But that beats the M107's max effective range of 600meters on "soft" targets (because it is horribly inaccurate). The reason we have 7.62 and .50 cal sniper rifles is the availability of ammo on the battle field. If you run out of 7.62 M118LR you can use M80 ball ammo and most of the time we use the same the same .50 cal API rounds thethe M2's use.

What we need is to field another sniper rifle.
Oh wait, we are...and it's a 7.62!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts