IS the 30-378 too much with no brake?

I have a 300 wby, hated shooting it until I put on a brake with a noise redirector made by grizzly gunworks. Love it now, no louder than before and puts the recoil at an acceptable level. For hunting, I think it's an unbeatable product!

Hello all. I have come across a great deal on a Weatherby accumark in 30-378. The gun is new (Not new style stock) and is $1395. I am starting to venture out west more that ever with a NE Mule deer hunt for 2018 and a western KS deer hunt this year (I hope). I'm building points again for AZ elk as I lost all of them when i moved back to Missouri. Anyhow, I have owned a .338, .338 RUM, .300 WBY, and a .375 (still own it) but have never touched off a 30-378. I want to know If there is anyone here who shoots their's with NO BRAKE? I absolutely despise muzzle brakes and won't own a rifle that needs to be shot with one. I don't "mind" shooting off the bench with one, but would really like to avoid using the brake as much as possible. I am a believer of shooting heavy for caliber bullets so I would probably stick with the 200 grain partition or 210 accubond for starters. Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance for any advice.
Everyone has a different tolerance level for recoil but for me, yes I'd definitely say this is one that needs a brake or really good suppressor.

With the right brake you will get a whole lot more enjoyment out of a heavy recoiling round and it will also help to make you a better shooter because it allows you to see your impacts even at 100-300 yards most of the time and beyond that all of the time or nearly all of it.

I used to be one who wanted nothing to do with brakes but now nearly all of my centerfires have them. The one I prefer after going through a dozen or more different types over the years is the North West Precision MB "slotted version".

High Performance Long Range Muzzle Brakes 1/2x28 & 5/8x24 for Rifle or Pistol | eBay

Everyone has a different tolerance level for recoil but for me, yes I'd definitely say this is one that needs a brake or really good suppressor.

With the right brake you will get a whole lot more enjoyment out of a heavy recoiling round and it will also help to make you a better shooter because it allows you to see your impacts even at 100-300 yards most of the time and beyond that all of the time or nearly all of it.

I used to be one who wanted nothing to do with brakes but now nearly all of my centerfires have them. The one I prefer after going through a dozen or more different types over the years is the North West Precision MB "slotted version".

High Performance Long Range Muzzle Brakes 1/2x28 & 5/8x24 for Rifle or Pistol | eBay

WR, will this brake thread on a 30/378 barrel to replace the factory brake? My Wby factory brake creates a cloud of dust when shooting prone near the ground. Would there be machining involved?
Thanks

I am going to be testing some muzzlebreaks, specifically a Smith Ent M14 muzzlebreak and others - the thread on your 30-378 accumark is 5/8-24 all 30-378 have a break as standard from WBY and are that size, the other cal & models w/o the fluted barrel use smaller size threads 1/2 being most common.

I am avg size 6ft 175lbs - I will vid tape some shots out of the 30-378 accumark w the cheapo $24 ebay break & the $100+ Smith Ent brake and no break - the WBY break has always been awesome.

I do not think a shot from a 300RUM / 338RUM is going to be much different IMO

That gent on eBay selling those North West Precision w/o firing on a nasty rifle with one I would not pay $75 for one of those.. His feedback I see 6.5 & 7mm hardly needing a break.

http://myworld.ebay.com/northwestprecisionllc

WR, will this brake thread on a 30/378 barrel to replace the factory brake? My Wby factory brake creates a cloud of dust when shooting prone near the ground. Would there be machining involved?
Thanks
I have no idea what the factory thread size and pitch are but if you call them I'm sure they can find or make one to fit your needs. Several years back I had to get them to make one with 1/2x28 LH threads to go on a Remington Custom. I split the cost of the tap with them and they've more than made up the rest with others doing the same that I sent there way.

Overall I like this brake better than any of the other dozen or so I've tried over the last 20 years and have them on everything from AR's to my .375 Ruger. Even shooting .270-350gr bullets the .375R is now a pussycat and a lot of fun to shoot.

I am going to be testing some muzzlebreaks, specifically a Smith Ent M14 muzzlebreak and others - the thread on your 30-378 accumark is 5/8-24 all 30-378 have a break as standard from WBY and are that size, the other cal & models w/o the fluted barrel use smaller size threads 1/2 being most common.

I am avg size 6ft 175lbs - I will vid tape some shots out of the 30-378 accumark w the cheapo $24 ebay break & the $100+ Smith Ent brake and no break - the WBY break has always been awesome.

I do not think a shot from a 300RUM / 338RUM is going to be much different IMO

That gent on eBay selling those North West Precision w/o firing on a nasty rifle with one I would not pay $75 for one of those.. His feedback I see 6.5 & 7mm hardly needing a break.

http://myworld.ebay.com/northwestprecisionllc
His feedback is 100% positive.

I have no idea what the factory thread size and pitch are but if you call them I'm sure they can find or make one to fit your needs. Several years back I had to get them to make one with 1/2x28 LH threads to go on a Remington Custom. I split the cost of the tap with them and they've more than made up the rest with others doing the same that I sent there way.

Overall I like this brake better than any of the other dozen or so I've tried over the last 20 years and have them on everything from AR's to my .375 Ruger. Even shooting .270-350gr bullets the .375R is now a pussycat and a lot of fun to shoot.

WR, I contacted them today and after I take a couple measurements I'll see what they can come up with. My 30/378 is a stainless model with a stainless non-fluted Kreiger barrel. Thanks for the help.

His feedback is 100% positive.

His feedback has nothing to do with how well his break functions, looking at his FB most had light rifles was the point - breaks are sold for $24 on ebay look very similar, I been too busy to test the few I have on the 30-378.

$150 Smith Ent US Coast guard break works great on a 7.62mm nato but does it work well on a boomer?

BTW: those factory barrels on those cheaper MKV guns are not Kreiger, give Kreiger a call to confirm - the fluted ones are suppose to be Criterion but I never contacted them to confirm that, Kreiger I had make up a barrel.

His feedback has nothing to do with how well his break functions, looking at his FB most had light rifles was the point - breaks are sold for $24 on ebay look very similar, I been too busy to test the few I have on the 30-378.
You're the one that brought it up, not me.

$150 Smith Ent US Coast guard break works great on a 7.62mm nato but does it work well on a boomer?
Not a break I've ever messed with. I do however have a great deal of experience with the NWP brake on multiple calibers and it's done a very good job for me on all of them.

BTW: those factory barrels on those cheaper MKV guns are not Kreiger, give Kreiger a call to confirm - the fluted ones are suppose to be Criterion but I never contacted them to confirm that, Kreiger I had make up a barrel.
What does this have to do with muzzle brakes?

I've been very well pleased with the NWP MB whether I'm shooting 140's or 180's from the 7mm STW, 165-210gr or heavier pills in the .300wm or .300 Rum all the way up to the 300+gr .375 R's.

The price is great, the service has been excellent, and the performance in both mitigating recoil and muzzle flip and to top it all off if you end up having to take a quick shot and don't have time to cover your ears or put on muffs/ear plugs it won't leave your ears bleeding or ringing for the next week.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.