Too much for a 1903?

bdinutah

I'm addicted to the 30-06 and have rebuilt a 1903 Springfield into a sporterized model. The barrel and action are solid and in good shape. My question is, I'm working up a load for it and am using Accubond 165gr bullets in front of IMR 4350. With 55gr of powder I'm keeping a 4" 5 shot group at 300yds. In the Nosler reloading manual it shows 57gr as the most accurate load and also the max load for this powder. This load should be more accurate, especially as I get out to 700-1000yds...but is it too much for my rifle. Thanks for any and all comments.

Two things to think about here IMO.
1. What did they use for a test rifle, and barrel length etc. Not always what works for one or two rifles will be best out of another.
2. As long as you work up to that load slowly and wach for pressure signs you should be fine. I wouldnt recoment jumping strait into max loads, but there is a safety margin put into thier data. I would find a load that shot well without pressure signs, and play with seating depth to fine tune it. Not nessicarily go off of recomended load data. They recomend it for a reason, but I always use book data as a starting block.
If your concerned about the rifle holding up to hot loads, your not going to be focused on your shooting. Accuracy goes to crap for me if my mind is wandering off to other things.
Work up an accurate load, and fine tune it. You already have a great caliber thats fun to shoot, and forgiving to load for, and a quality bullet, and a good powder.

Some of the early 03's aren't that strong, check for the serial numbers, I don't remember them. I've got a Remington that i sporterized years ago. My favorite load for it is 57 gr. 4350 with 180 gr. grand slams. Not a tack driver, but will shoot an inch. I've shot as high as 58 gr. with no problems. Just remember no two rifles are the same, work up to the load.

Thanks for the replies, so far there are no signs of pressure stress, it's a fun rifle to shoot, I'll continue to work on the load, thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.