To restock or not?

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by Gunner1, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Gunner1

Gunner1 Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2013
    I recently purchased a N.I.B. Remington Model 700 Sendero SF II in 300 winmag. I've tested the clearance and a $20 bill will pass untouched from the fore end of the stock to the chamber. So my question is this: would replacing the factory stock with say a Manners or a Whiskey 3 chassis system really offer any advantage? I know that I'd be able to adjust length of pull and comb height, but as far as accuracy goes would there be a difference? Not only that but is there a market for factory stock take-offs that would allow me to offset the $1000 price tag of these high-end stocks?
  2. Nimrod

Nimrod Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2006
    I would shoot it and see how it does before spending the money on a new stock. It might work fine for you as is.
  3. angus-5024

angus-5024 Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2008
    senduros come with an excellent stock. Skim bed it and go shoot. If the gun wont shoot good with the HS stock that comes with it, I would look at hand loads or barrel.
  4. squirrelduster

squirrelduster Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    If weight is a concern then there are lots of stocks that are much lighter than the factory stock. If not then skim bed your stock and see what it does. I agree with Angus, then check the barrel.
    I recently bought a Manners stock and was very impressed with it.
    My brother has the same rig and we skim bedded it and it shoots between 1/2 and 3/4 MOA with proper loads.