Suppress or not to Suppress

They are actually claiming these states allow big game hunting or suppressor ownership?

Post a link.

The Gemtech PDF is accurate, but it's best to call and find out for sure. I know for a fact that Arizona, Texas, and Washington state recently legalized hunting big game with suppressors.

They are actually claiming these states allow big game hunting or suppressor ownership?

Post a link.

I don't know about all those states but in Texas you hunt any animal you want come sept. that is straight from the game wardens mouth. You also google Texas suppressed law and read it yourself

So this says its legal in Missouri, guess ill call my local conservation agent in the Mornin and talk to him...it would be nice to tame my wsm alil....

Supressors do make a rifle more enjoyable to shoot, less sensitive to errors in shooting technique (ie easier to shoot under stress) and possibly more accurate. They are however one more variable which could screw up a critical shot. I have seen then come less than half a turn loose, and change the zero by 2 minutes of angle. If you choose to use a supressor for anything more serious than target shooting I would recommend never taking it off, even for bore cleaning because it is one more variable that can effect your cold bore shot and / or your zero.

Brian Poor
Premier Rifle Academy

If your worried about it coming loose, than look into a AAC, they have the best mounting system on the market and will not come loose unless you want it too. However, they are some of the more costly cans out there. Worth it IMO. Colorado allows hunting big game with a can. But don't take my word for it call the DOW.

Jon

This may of been asked before, Looking at starting out doing some long range hunting. I am looking at different set ups with guns and the question I have do I suppress it or not sppress it?
ABSOLUTELY SUPPRESS IT. We shoot and hunt EVERYTHING suppressed and I'll never go back.

If your worried about it coming loose, than look into a AAC, they have the best mounting system on the market and will not come loose unless you want it too. However, they are some of the more costly cans out there. Worth it IMO. Colorado allows hunting big game with a can. But don't take my word for it call the DOW.

Jon
Not even in the realm of true. There is a pretty good reason AAC has gone through 3 different generations (minimum) of "qd" mounts...and it's not to win style points. It's because they were wearing out.

There are a lot of cans that WON'T come loose, but that shouldn't be even in the top 10 reasons to choose a can. The likely hood of a can coming lose in a hunting scenario is pretty slim. Even predator hunting, where you can take a lot of shots during the day, it doesn't take more than a second to double check before or after you leave a stand. It's no different than making sure you ready to shoot by checking the bolt, checking the safety, checking the mag yada yada yada.

If you've got or get a can, you'll be OCD about making sure it's tight for a while, and then you'll realize, you need to check MUCH less often.
With a good can, it's a non-issue.

Regarding the list of states allowing suppressed hunting: Fifty Driver is right - be very careful and research for yourself. AZ appears on that list, but I can assure you that no big game hunting is allowed with a suppressed weapon. I just confirmed the same last Fall with three different game biologists out in the field. If in doubt, read the regs and talk directly with the Dept. of the state in which you plan to hunt.

Regarding the list of states allowing suppressed hunting: Fifty Driver is right - be very careful and research for yourself. AZ appears on that list, but I can assure you that no big game hunting is allowed with a suppressed weapon. I just confirmed the same last Fall with three different game biologists out in the field. If in doubt, read the regs and talk directly with the Dept. of the state in which you plan to hunt.
I believe you did confirm it last year. It changed this year.

NRA-ILA | Arizona Governor Jan Brewer Signs Law Authorizing Use of Suppressors for All Hunting

Last edited:
I did some more checking. You are partially correct right now....and will be completely correct come Sept. 1st. Although the law was passed and signed by the govenor, it does not go into effect until Sept. 1st. (Some sources at AZGFD thought it might be Aug. 1st). Either way, it will be legal come this Fall. Thanks for making us all aware of this change.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.