To much shoulder bump?

cmor_15

Wondering how much is to much shoulder bump? Starting with fired brass and didn't have die set properly and some brass has .005 bump. I know i should only be bumping .002. My question is how much bump would be to much and cause case head separation or damage ? Cases are winchester brand in 243 win.

My thoughts are a .005 bump should be ok and anymore could cause issues but I want some advice from someone with more experience.

Wondering how much is to much shoulder bump? Starting with fired brass and didn't have die set properly and some brass has .005 bump. I know i should only be bumping .002. My question is how much bump would be to much and cause case head separation or damage ? Cases are winchester brand in 243 win.

My thoughts are a .005 bump should be ok and anymore could cause issues but I want some advice from someone with more experience.
A .005 bump is no problem. Factory ammo often has a lot more than that depending on the gun.
I know a guy that bumped a 7stw .020 for multiple firings and the brass was still just fine.

There's no way to say whether it's too much or not until you let it grow to where it doesn't rechamber without pressure.

If you're resizing 0.005" on once-fired brass then yes that could be entirely too much. ANY resizing on once-fired brass could be too much. I usually set FL dies to resize 1/2-3/4 of the neck only until the case doesn't rechamber easily, then move downwards from there.

223/5.56 .014" to much. Shell plate defect found.
I would worry starting @ .010" 1 firing maybe ok. More, not good.
I agree. I don't even think factory offerings have as much as .01. I could be wrong tho. I want as little bit of case expansion as possible but still have reliable easy feeding.

I would anneal brass that's been bumped too far to allow the brass in the neck to deform easily to increase the headspace instead of stretching the case head portion of the brass.

New brass and factory brass have significantly more than .005 headspace. Try measuring your new brsss or factory brass before and after firing. I agree that it is a case life thing.

Most all my rifles will chamber with .002 bump except one, she needs .004

3 firings on the brass and so .003 bump is snug but .004 Is money. I also do the paper clip trick for head separation before each load. No sign of it yet.