Tips for first match

SCdeerhunter

So I've been debating shooting a prs match for a little while now and finally found a local club that host some smaller matches. Pretty much just wanna go so I can learn from some other guys and put rounds down range. Any tips for a first timer? Any gear I just have to have besides rifle, bipod, shooting bag, and data card? Dont have all the extra stuff like a kestrel yet. Hope this is the right place to post this. Thanks for the help and tips guys.

I just shot my first one earlier this year. Have shot a couple of .22 matches since that are a similiar style, so not a seasoned vet.

My advice is to remember to breath. You will be moving around, making sure your bolt is open, making sure you are safe, settling in, shooting, and changing positions. Take your time and breath. Fast misses are scored the same as slow misses. If you get into a groove, find a good position, good conditions, confidence , then speed up but timing out with rounds in the mag isn't a bad thing.

I just shot my first one earlier this year. Have shot a couple of .22 matches since that are a similiar style, so not a seasoned vet.

My advice is to remember to breath. You will be moving around, making sure your bolt is open, making sure you are safe, settling in, shooting, and changing positions. Take your time and breath. Fast misses are scored the same as slow misses. If you get into a groove, find a good position, good conditions, confidence , then speed up but timing out with rounds in the mag isn't a bad thing.
Yeah I feel like that's gonna be the toughest part for me, trying to stay calm and breathing. Might tape it on my stock by my dope just so I see it and remember.

Remember you're there to learn! You wont be the best the first time you do anything try not to get upset at misses and concentrate on the next shot. Most important thing is to have fun. If you have any competitive nature in your body you will become hooked, it is a great sport. Have fun, be safe and good luck!

Remember you're there to learn! You wont be the best the first time you do anything try not to get upset at misses and concentrate on the next shot. Most important thing is to have fun. If you have any competitive nature in your body you will become hooked, it is a great sport. Have fun, be safe and good luck!
Thanks! I'll post back on how it goes. Still have to see when their next match is but I'm going to do it. And I'm very competitive and tend to critique myself too much sometimes.

Your only competition is you. Be safe and your there to learn and have fun so don't look at the score sheet.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.