Preparing for first prs match

We have a nrl.22 shoot usually once a month. Sounds similar to what you are talking about and there are lots of 10/22's at ours, most heavily modified. Several kidd's, one cz (in a mpa chassis) and I think a guy got a vudoo but I haven't seen it. My bone stock 10/22 just didn't compete, I struggled to shoot middle of the pack; It is about a 3" gun at 100. I got one with a new barrel now, shoots good on the range but I haven't been able to shoot a competition with it yet.

Most of the targets are inside 100 yards, 6" is the biggest and is usually a standing/offhand target. The smallest is 1/4", it is actually easier to shoot the hanger than the target. This is usually at 20-30 yards, sometimes stupid distances like 23 or 17 yards. changing distances, position and props is all pretty common.

Lots of fun and great practice for a prs style match. Remember safety. The .22 will let you get away with some things, mostly recoil related, so try to concentrate on a steady hold and followthrough so you can transfer to the big gun.

9A29A109-DC03-42DB-AE06-9C580B1009A2.jpeg
Tried out the various match ammo I could find at 100 yards: this is what I arrived at. Check out how the Winchester 555 bulk ammo did in the bottom right.
But with the mortar like trajectory and the low bc bullets floating on the breeze like poplar tree seeds, makes lr challenging. IMO shooting a 22lr at 250 yards in gusty wind is as hard as shooting 168s from a 308 at 880 yards in similar wind considtions.

I just started shooting PRS, both centerfire and rimfire. The centerfire matches had distances out to 1000 yards, the 22, our to 300 yards. This game is all about achieving steadiness with unconventional shooting positions, speed, and wind doping skills. You and your rifle should be capable of delivering at least 1 MOA performance, with reliable feeding/extraction, and well practiced in quick 5 or 10rd magazine changers. Some stages can require as many as 20 rounds. With lots of newer shooters getting involved, in the various matches I've attended, the experienced shooters have been exceptionally helpful and patient with new shooters. Because stages can require position changes and quick movements, attention and adherence to safety rules are strictly monitored and adhered to. Best advice for a first match is to make sure you understand your dopes up through the max distance of the course. You can have both turret changing, or reticle hold only stages, so a capable scope will be required. Bring a bipod, at least one bag, and a backpack that can serve as a support.
Look at the first match as a learning experience and enjoy yourself!

Attended my first 22 prs match and supremely enjoyed it. Everyone made it welcoming and a lot of fun.
If anyone's thinking of attending one I highly recommend it.
As an additional plus I managed to come in 3rd and took some hardware home!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.