My First Guardian Long Range Match - 2021

brant89

Just wanted to share my experience with the Guardian Long Range precision rifle match from this past weekend at the Marksmanship Training Center in Lake City, MI.

Friday the range was open to sight in, verify drops out to 1048yd, and shoot the 100yd OSS challenge stage. The OSS challenge stage was 8 dots approximately .200" diameter. One shot to be fired at each dot and the most hits wins. I hit 3 dots which awarded me nothing but the first place shooter got 5 dots which also happened to be the current record for that challenge up to this point.

Saturday was the individual events. I wish there were more pictures and videos to show but there was not a lot of downtime to set up the tripod to record myself and most of the downtime was spent prepping for the next stage. Overall I did pretty decent. I cleaned one stage and nearly cleaned two others, but I dropped a lot of points on a couple of the positional and movement stages and ended up ranking 14th out of 49 overall. So I know what I need to improve on for next time.

Sunday was the two man team events. Teams were assigned based on ranking; the top shooter being placed with the bottom shooter and working towards the middle. I got paired with John Klingenberg (in the blue) who happened to be a guy that I had met on this forum earlier this year. The team staged hinged a lot on communication and strategy so being familiar with one another was a huge advantage. We shot exceedingly well and ended up tied for first place, and one of the guys on the other team was actually the first place shooter from the individual events as wells as being one of the top shooters from that shooting club. Since there are no ties, they sent us to a tiebreaker round which was 5 shots from each shooter at the 991yd target. With my 22BR and his .224 Valkyrie, the shifting winds were a bit of a challenge, but John and I ended up scoring four hits to their two which secured us a first place finish!

Overall it was a great weekend in support of an even better cause. Marksmanship Training Center is a top notch facility and all staff, RO's, and spotters were awesome! There were some great shooters out there, and lots of opportunities for new shooters to learn a lot. I definitely plan on doing more of these matches in the future and would encourage anyone at any level to check them out and attend a shoot. It's a friendly atmosphere and a great time.

Attachments

• John and I.jpg
    John and I.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
I would like to add that the atmosphere at this match was just amazing. The fellowship and examples of generosity I witnessed had me tearing up more than a few times. Made some new friends, saw some old friends. Dont miss these Guardian Long Range matches, it's a soul moving experience. My shooting partner Brant is a first class human being, his family that attended are amazing people I just cant describe. I'm still a little overwhelmed by the win and the overall experience. On my trip home I called about everyone who would listen until they "dropped" the call...funny I usually have great service in this area. I'll be riding high on this one for a long time.

Attachments

• 20210522_082008.jpg
    20210522_082008.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 65
  • 20210522_094649.jpg
    20210522_094649.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 67
I would like to add that the atmosphere at this match was just amazing. The fellowship and examples of generosity I witnessed had me tearing up more than a few times. Made some new friends, saw some old friends. Dont miss these Guardian Long Range matches, it's a soul moving experience. My shooting partner Brant is a first class human being, his family that attended are amazing people I just cant describe. I'm still a little overwhelmed by the win and the overall experience. On my trip home I called about everyone who would listen until they "dropped" the call...funny I usually have great service in this area. I'll be riding high on this one for a long time.
The feeling is mutual John. This may have been our first time shooting together but I don't think it will be our last.