tips for first custom built

drahthaar1

I've been brainstorming a custom built light weight mountain rifle for backpacking fir mulies. Just looking for tips or pointers that you guys might do differently.

I've got a new interarms mark x action in the box, so was gonna start with it. Changing the the trigger guard to an aluminium ptg.

As for the barrel, looking at a hart 24inch contour 2.
Chambered in 280AI

Would like to go with a lone wolf stock, or proof research stock to try and shed some of the weight.

Thanks for any suggestions
Joe

i would suggest getting a different action as mausers never end up very light. i am thinking a remington model 7 would be a great place to start, but that will limit to a short action caliber. but dont get me wrong, i am a mauser fan unlike anything else, it would make an excellent long range rig! just not very light.

If you want a true lightweight rifle your starting behind the curve with that receiver right off the bat.

A Rem 700 would be much lighter which means you can put a bit more meat into your barrel or stock which helps with the rifles stability and rigidity.

If your looking to accurize the receiver, I would recommend a Borden or Definance Machining receiver as they will cost you no more then a fully accurized Rem 700 if you have to buy the Rem 700 and likely you could get one of these custom receivers cheaper if your looking at a stainless Rem 700 receiver.

I would go with one of these Rem 700 clone custom receivers, your barrel contour is fine. I would also recommend a McMillan or Manner stock with either made with their carbon fiber shell. Alloy trigger guard, Jewell trigger, lightweight alloy rail base.

Scope selection will be critical as well for final rifle weight so keep that in mind. You do not want to build a 6.5 lb rifle and then put a 3 lb scope on it!!!

Thanks for the great advice, please keep it coming, is there any good control feed action that would make a good light platform to start?

My budgets is about 2000, not including optics.

Thanks
joe

How far do you plan on shooting? Knowing this will help with optics choice. Also if you can get away with a short action cartridge such as the 6.5 x 47L it can shed a little weight and length.

Don't let me disuade you from a custom build.

But, I've heard good things about the Tikka T3 Lite.

Not sure if 280ai is available off-the-shelf.

But, there are other good cartridges and/or you might just look it over as a model for what you're trying to achieve.

-- richard

As far as optics go was planning on the vortex viper hs 2.5-10x44. With being a mountain rifle I tend typically get elk close, 50 to 100 yards, however with deer I'd like to be able to go to 800 yards.

As far as optics go was planning on the vortex viper hs 2.5-10x44. With being a mountain rifle I tend typically get elk close, 50 to 100 yards, however with deer I'd like to be able to go to 800 yards.

With that said I'll bow out. I dont go 800 on a mountain Rifle I like a little more weight. I did it with my 300WSM 24" Hart#3 but it weighed in a little heavier and I still didn't like it that light.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.