First custom

srttim

I am looking at building my first custom. What i have come up with after countless hours behind the keyboard and reloading manuals is a 280 ackley imp. This will be my go to gun for medium to large size game out to 700 or so yards.

My plans are remington 700 action (or clone like the borden timberline), brux ss barrel finished at about 27-28 in, manners mcs-t stock.
I want to shoot berger 168 vld at about 2900fps.

Is that speed possible? Is a custom action worth it or should i just have a 700 blueprinted? Is there an other caliber worth looking at?

Let me know what you guys think.

You will never regret going to a custom action, Tooley Orion, Baity clone, Borden, Stiller etc are worth every penny.

They are smoother, better features, more reliable and worth more.

Look at the features on this Tooley Orion and compare to a tweaked 700 that is only worth $450 when you walk out of the gunsmiths shop after paying them a bunch of money to end up with an lesser product. Here you have a fluted melonite bolt with M16 or Sako extractor, extended bolt handle, side bolt release and much smoother that is ready to barrel.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f37/tooley-orion-action-pics-requested-56798/

you might want to take a look at the 180s and see what Hornady has coming out and decide if you want to order the twist to shoot them.

BH

I dont think the 280 AI has enough power to push the 180s. Custom action seems to be the way to go.
I have been reading info about free bore and throat angle.
Should I worry about free bore and throat angle or do I need to just tell the smith what bullet i want to shoot and he should be able determine what to do.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.