Time to buy a Lightweight Elk Rifle

ssssnake529

I'm going to buy a lightweight elk rifle in 300 Win Mag.

Needs to be lightweight and accurate.

I shoot 230 gr Bergers, so it needs to be able to chamber a long 300 WM cartridge.

Narrowed it down to these two options:

Christensen Arms Summit TI Thumbhole

Summit Ti-TH

Proof Research Summit

Sheep Hunting Rifle - Proof Research

Any feedback, comments, etc.?

What do "you" consider "light" friend? I had a Match Grade Arms Mod 700 in 340 Weatherby. I finished up around 8 pounds, of even less. It had one of those "KDF" style brakes. It acted like an air rifle, in that it was in recoil, until it was "braked" by that design. Yes, it lightened up the felt recoil, however, it was assumed that it would also be about "perfect rifle ) for the Bush. It kicked the guts out of a Burris 3x0 e33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333

I couldn't find a weight listed for the Proof, and thought that a bit odd since lighter was a goal.

I couldn't find a price for the Christensen.

Accuracy guarantee was the same, which I was glad to see movement from Christiansen, they've been a little slow to say the least in guaranteeing rifles. No standard expressed for a long time. Moved to 1" when most quality builders were guaranteeing 0.5".

I'm a sucker for thumbholes so that's where I would go.

My hunting partner owns a Christensen, though with a traditional shape stock.

I will tell you from his experience, as well as mine, in shooting that rifle - it is TOUGH to shoot long range with a very lightweight rifle. It is very difficult to keep it still enough to be able to shoot long. If you have not, I would test a light rifle before buying one.

The doc speaks the truth. I'm have long Pierce build my ultra light 6.5 creed with everything as light as possible and have to keep an open mind for max distance for this rifle just for that reason. Even your heartbeat will move things.

When I built my 300 WM I went with a Game scout stock, #3brux, Jewel, Borden action, Wyatt extended box, holland brake and SHV 5-20X56. Not to lite or to heavy to carry. Finished at 10 lb 2oz. I shoot 215's though. I was a little worried about the thin barrel but this turned out to be one of my most accurate rifles. I have found that the weight of this rifle is ok for semi long range range work of 500-900 yds. Has shot some very good groups at these ranges.

While I don't own a Christensen Arms or Proof Research rifle, I did work with two Proof customs and one Christensen custom last year.

IMO the Proof Research were better rifles. Both shot very accurate groups with no issues what so ever. Finding the loads for the 300 RUM and 6.5 creedmore were extremely easy.

I had an issue with the 300 win mag Christensen rifle when I developed loads for it last September. Action screws kept getting loose. Called company. Discovered IT WASN'T BEDDED!!!! Advice, and temporary solution, was to torque to 65 in/lb and recheck after a dozen or so shots to see if it loosened. Owner was going to have it bedded after his fall hunts.

That Strata in 300Rs post was nice! I'd take either the 6.5x284 or the 280AI, that way there is not that much recoil to tame down in shooting prone,etc. and not much chance of gutting a good scope! BUT...$5000 all up, wow! That's an African Plains Game hunt, ha! The "Scot" part of my "Scots-Irish" DNA comes out from time to time,ha. I just got my Mod 700 (recently converted to magnum cartridges & rebarreled to 358 Norma) back from my smith. it has a brake, a #3 Shilen and is set in a Brown Precision High country synthetic, pillar bedded. With a Nikon 4x12 on it it weighs in about 8#, that's a good weight for me. As mentioned earlier, that first custom LWT I had by MatchGrade Arms in 340w weighed 5# before scoped! Too much 'sugar for a dime", it was a scope killer. But, when rebarreled with a slightly heavier barrel to 338 win and just ported, also came in close to 8# and was a shooter.

I just picked up a Cooper back country rifle in 6.5 X 284. Went with a vx6 4-12.
It does have a remove able brake and 1.5 lb trigger.
So far just shot 200 yards and very accurate with 140 gr Bregers.
Very easy recoil to handle and grouping great.
This is the first 6.5 X 284 I have owned and super happy.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.