Help me build/buy the IDEAL lightweight Elk Rifle

The carbon barrel is a thin tube wrapped in Carbon fiber compound right? May be as accurate as a thin barrel??

The carbon barrel is a thin tube wrapped in Carbon fiber compound right? May be as accurate as a thin barrel??

Yeah that correct. I don't know the exact Science behind it, but it's an actual steel barrel wrapped in carbon fiber. It is significantly stiffer than steel barrel of the same weight of its inner steel sleeve. It is not as stiff as a steel barrel the same diameter of the carbon portion though.

I don't consider myself a long range shooter, but I like quiet, accurate, short rifles. And I hate having to hold over much to make a 300 yard shot. So opinions welcome; help me build the perfect lightweight Elk rifle -
Criteria:
- must be short action (standard bolt face or magnum chambering)
- needs to be chambered in something big enough to kill an elk, light recoil enough to shoot for fun, and flat shooting enough to not be concerned with pinpoint judging of distance between 100-350 yard shots
- will double as a coyote and muley rifle so please no 338 Lapua's
- needs to weigh less than 6.5 lbs without optics
- needs to have less than 90 deg bolt throw
- needs to have DBM that is smooth on the underside (no clunky steel magazines that catch clothes)
- no swing around safety's
- would prefer stainless for it's rust resistance, might cerakote anyways
- needs to have 1/2 or 5/8" threaded muzzle for Thunderbeast CB attachment
- needs to have barrel length of no greather than 22"
- would prefer that overall rifle length is less than 42"

Let's also say that money is no object on this one. Give me your opinions on what I should build or buy, and let's have fun!

First 416R or even just plane 416 is not very rust resistant.

Second go with a proven winner in the lightest rifle you can find.
Ignore most of what you read online and that will put to ahead of 75% of people

I just read a post on another website from the very knowledgable Jeff Brozovich (Broz on this site) about elk hunting and desired caliber. Jeff mainly hunts elk and he said that in his opinion you need at least a 30 cal or 338 cal. Not saying that 7mm or less won't get it done, just in his experience, 30 cal or bigger just works better. If you want something light and a bigger caliber, look at something like a Christensen Arms 338 Lapua. I have one of the Classic models. It weighs only 7.1 lbs without a scope. I took it mountain goat hunting on Kodiak Island in October and it wasn't too heavy, and it worked perfectly. Like I've said before, my dedicated elk rifle is a 300 WSM but I wouldn't hesitate to use the 338 Lapua

Take a look at the Kimbers. they are very light and in 280 AI. I know you want maybe a bigger caliber but with the weight down there you can easily walk a little closer and shoot.lol

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.