Help me build/buy the IDEAL lightweight Elk Rifle

You want a light weight ti action and less than 90°? Check fierce they're a sako clone. Budget minded, I say get a Tikka with a mag bolt face, use a la bolt stop, get a bartlein #2 light fluting, run a 300wsm, or 7sam chamber, throat it for longer heavier bullets. Get a mcmillan or manners stock. You'll be under your weight limit and have what you want.

Last edited:
The Weatherby Outfitter in 270 Win might be worth a look. I know it is a long action but has OAL of 42" but with lightweight rings and something like a Swaro Z3 or Leupold should put you right at 7 lbs all equipped for the field. The Browning Hells Canyon seem to have a really good following and reviews.

Ruger also makes a AICS all plastic mag. I don't think its flush fitting but its rounded

Flat shooting in a short action means lighter than optimal bullets for elk or mag sized case (WSM or SAUM). Take your pick after that.

Think you need enough gun for LR elk....338,340, etc..If you do not have patience to wait for good broadside shot a smaller bullet may not do the job and you wound an elk and ruin your trip and add to your memories this one. I know it CAN be done by the right shooter, but for more piece of mind you may need to consider these larger more energy cartridges.....

Elk gun, light and fun don't play well together IMHO
The only elk gun I have that is also on the fun list is a 338 Edge with an 8 lb barrel and a good brake.
That **** little Tikka altra lite in 30-06 knocks me out one more time and its hitting the road ;-(

Elk gun, light and fun don't play well together IMHO
The only elk gun I have that is also on the fun list is a 338 Edge with an 8 lb barrel and a good brake.
That **** little Tikka altra lite in 30-06 knocks me out one more time and its hitting the road ;-(

I have a standard Remington 700 ADL in .30-06. It has a laminated stock. It sucks so bad when I shoot it. It literally bruises your shoulder. It knocks the crap out of everyone who shoots it as well. I couldn't imagine a heavy hitter in a light platform.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.