Tikka

falconew

I stopped at a gun shop on my way to New York to visit the family. It is a mom and pop kind of store plenty of animals on the wall he killed and tons of guns. I was looking at a Savage .300 wm, he had one but was heavy. He handed me a Tikka t3 and it seemed love at first sight. I am planning a Texas trip this year for mule deer. I don't know much on the Tikka, I know the advertise 1 moa out of the box. This gun shop owner swears by them, walked me around the store telling me about this kill and that at ranges from 150-700 yards. Are they a good gun? Any one with experience with them?

image.jpgI have a Tikka t3 with a bedded stock and hand loads, Berger 168 VLD over Retumbo, shots 1/2" at 100yrds and I've got a 4 shot 3" group at 700yrds with it. They are great guns!

View attachment 59382I have a Tikka t3 with a bedded stock and hand loads, Berger 168 VLD over Retumbo, shots 1/2" at 100yrds and I've got a 4 shot 3" group at 700yrds with it. They are great guns!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 60
I got my tikka t3 270 wsm back in 07, I shot factory Federal 140gr accubond, have killed 1 elk 450 and one at 400 both elk never went 10 yards, killed 1 a bear at 350yards , few deer at 300 yards to 10 yards, few elk from 200-20 yards all either DRT or within 15yards:) the first 3 shot group was right around 1/2" at 100yards and still is. I love my tikkas

I got my tikka t3 270 wsm back in 07, I shot factory Federal 140gr accubond, have killed 1 elk 450 and one at 400 both elk never went 10 yards, killed 1 a bear at 350yards , few deer at 300 yards to 10 yards, few elk from 200-20 yards all either DRT or within 15yards:) the first 3 shot group was right around 1/2" at 100yards and still is. I love my tikkas

Very nice shooting. Sounds like it's time to take a trip to the gun shop.

image.jpg. I put a brake on mine, this is my 13 year old that shot the group at 100yrds!

I only own 4 Tikka rifles. They are the smoothest, polished action out of the box for a production rifle, period! I have a 6.5x55 T3 that I have killed more animals than I can list but the main point is the accuracy. It seems I can't go wrong with anything I load for it. The bad bullets are 3/4moa and the ones it likes are sub 1/2moa

6months ago I got a 7rem mag T3 that I get .6moa w/ 160gr TMK and just added a .243 T3 that I am playing with but sub MOA is no problem for it either.

I've had a Tikka M595 for about 15yrs in .223 that has been my designated varmint rifle.

Only con I can see would be they only hold 3 rounds in their plastic Drop box magazine. I would hate to loose a magazine as they are like $50 to replace but could be done. I've always thought if you are hunting the first shot was the most important and rarely have I needed more.

I've also rarely ran accross anyone with a lemon but I guess there could be one from any manufacturer.

I say buy the Tikka and you will be happy you did for the money they are hard to beat!
Good luck
James

I purchased a Tikka T3 30-06 for one of my employees as a mid-year bonus for a job well done. I think if I had to pick an off the shelf lightweight hunting rifle for myself I'd take a strong look at the Tikka. You get a darn nice gun for the money.

Until yesterday he had only put 40-50 rounds of factory Barnes 180 TTSX through it so far and yesterday was the first day we went out to shoot thirty rounds of test handloads I made up for him. His groups were okay but we need more work on the loads and he needs some more experience as well.

At the end of the day yesterday he said three things:
1. "I love that gun"
2. "I need to find out about those Limb Saver recoil pads"
3. "Who makes a good muzzle brake?"

I shot a round out of it after shooting my braked 300 win mag all day and it definitely needs some recoil love. I underestimated it and it bonked my nose firm enough to make me say bad words but no marks or blood.

All-in with a Nikon Pro-Staff scope, a soft case and a few boxes of ammo I paid around $1300 OTD from Bass Pro and I'd say that is a darn good value for a decent hunting rifle. My thoughts are you can take one, do a few upgrades as you go along and have great little rifle.

~Robert

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.