Tikka

I purchased a Tikka T3 30-06 for one of my employees as a mid-year bonus for a job well done. I think if I had to pick an off the shelf lightweight hunting rifle for myself I'd take a strong look at the Tikka. You get a darn nice gun for the money.

Until yesterday he had only put 40-50 rounds of factory Barnes 180 TTSX through it so far and yesterday was the first day we went out to shoot thirty rounds of test handloads I made up for him. His groups were okay but we need more work on the loads and he needs some more experience as well.

At the end of the day yesterday he said three things:
1. "I love that gun"
2. "I need to find out about those Limb Saver recoil pads"
3. "Who makes a good muzzle brake?"

I shot a round out of it after shooting my braked 300 win mag all day and it definitely needs some recoil love. I underestimated it and it bonked my nose firm enough to make me say bad words but no marks or blood.

All-in with a Nikon Pro-Staff scope, a soft case and a few boxes of ammo I paid around $1300 OTD from Bass Pro and I'd say that is a darn good value for a decent hunting rifle. My thoughts are you can take one, do a few upgrades as you go along and have great little rifle.

~Robert

I put a limbsaver recoil pad on my 7rem T3 and it totally changed that rifle! It's certainly worth the money.

Don't forget the Tikka's also have an adjustable trigger that is very easy to lower the poundage and it will feel like a Timney!
James

hopefully get one ordered this week and may have to save up to get my scope might put a cheaper one i got now to get playing with the gun. Now i will need dies and projectiles. Does anyone reload and what projectiles do you guys use?

hopefully get one ordered this week and may have to save up to get my scope might put a cheaper one i got now to get playing with the gun. Now i will need dies and projectiles. Does anyone reload and what projectiles do you guys use?

Yes, I reload for all mine

There are plenty of great bullets out there but we need more info before we can suggest what might be best for you. What caliber, target quarry and approx ranges?
James

I am getting the 300 wm, I am heading to Texas this year for mule deer and whitetail. looking for up to maybe 700 yards max. I was thinking somewhere between 185-210gr. I reload for 308 but not hunting rounds so I don't know what's best A-max, partition, or what other hunting rounds

I am getting the 300 wm, I am heading to Texas this year for mule deer and whitetail. looking for up to maybe 700 yards max. I was thinking somewhere between 185-210gr. I reload for 308 but not hunting rounds so I don't know what's best A-max, partition, or what other hunting rounds

Brother, you can save yourself a lot of pain with a 7mm for muley and whitetail. I'm an elk hunter and bought a custom lightweight 300 win mag two years ago and while I love this rifle it has a lot of kick even with a nice muzzle brake. I just ordered a 7mm rem mag from Proof to replace this one. It's not that shooting it while hunting or basic sighting in is so bad but working up loads and dedicated practice for LRH was just too much for me. After 40 rounds I feel like I've been beat by an MMA fighter.

Call me a wuss and I'm definitely not trying to start a "best caliber" argument but you'll have better ballistics with the right load with a 7mm they you'll come close to on a 180gr .30 cal and your shoulder will love you for it. Compare a 180gr .30 with a 175gr 7mm eld-x ov VLB_X on a ballistics chart.

Not bashing your plan just sharing my story and yes, I'll be hunting elk, muley and speedgoats with the 7mm.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

~Robert

Falconew, as far as my brake goes, not sure the brand but the gunsmith put one on that blows out the side rather than the bottom since most my shots tend to be prone on my bipods (no dirt blown up). I load the Berger 168 VLD loaded .003 off lands, I did need to file my clip front and back to get the longer bullet in there! As said above, the 7mm will work just fine on deer out to 800 plus, the last two bull elk and cow I shot were ranges from 465-550yrds, only one of the bulls required a second shot into the chest and it quickly went down!

I forgot to say that Texas deer tend to be smaller body size than colder states and a 7mm is plenty of bullet.

However, If you plan to use the same rifle for larger game too then .30 cal bullets kill these little tx deer just as dead. I am not opposed to the 300win by any means.

I think this thread started as a Tikka thread not a caliber debate so,
My advice is buy 2 Tikka rifles....lol
James

The only reason i was looking at the 300 was i already own a 308 and i figured kill 2 birds with one stone, i can use the same projectiles. i was looking at the 7mm as well.

I do not mind this turning into caliber discussion as well i am not well up on the bigger calibers that much. I use a 30/30 here in NC and NY so it's just another 30 cal to be but with longer range.

I own a couple of Tikka's. They have been great rifles. As far as caliber I would stick with your plan of the 300wm. Put a limbsaver recoil pad on and a good muzzle brake and it will feel like shooting your 308. I use Holland QD brakes on my rifles and have been very happy. As for bullets the Tikka does limit you to how far you can seat out some of the heavy grain bullets. Good luck with your decision!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.