Tikka vs R700

Granted, many here spend more time hunting than myself...I only average 2 shots/year hunting with a rifle without hearing protection. I guess I'm lucky, but I'm 60 and hear just fine. Certainly Adrenaline provides no hearing or recoil protection, but for those 2 shots per year on a deer or elk with a light 30-06 or 300wm, I've never noticed the recoil.

Hello all another question....what ammo would you all suggest I start with. I currently have Winchester power-point 150gr. It's all the store had. I'm pretty much learning my gun and can't handload yet. Obviously looking to deer hunt with it and I can shoot anywhere from 50yrds out to 600 yrds. I'm still learning all of the different language for ammo. B.C. G1 etc.... need something that will do the best job until I can learn to handload.

I would try some of the new Hornady Precision Hunter stuff. It won't break the bank and may shoot well.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...mm-remington-magnum-162-grain-eld-x-box-of-20

I have had good luck with Federal Fusion ammo in the past also. Again relatively inexpensive ammo for the accuracy potential:https://www.midwayusa.com/product/8...-magnum-150-grain-spitzer-boat-tail-box-of-20

Federal Premium 165 Sierra Game Kings also shot good in my 7mm:https://www.midwayusa.com/product/7...165-grain-sierra-gameking-boat-tail-box-of-20

Finding the ammo your rifle likes is usually a kinda hit and miss thing. I would stay away for cheap ammo and the real expensive more custom stuff like the Nosler and HSM with VLD bullets until you find a more midrange price/performance combo that works. Also try to stay in the 140 Gr. to 168 Gr. bullet weights. They may well be more accurate. The heavier bullets may open up your groups some. Try some of them after you have a good baseline with a medium weight bullet.

I really may spend too much time reading....
As for the rifle; Have you looked at the Savage? I own 2 of the TikKa T3 Lites and the Magnum rounds require a brake. They are brutal, but the rifle is accurate out of the box and does not need to be modified. The R700 will probably need a trigger, I can't be accurate with a 12lb trigger. As for caliber, there have been so many advances in ballistics and bullet construction, if you are going to shoot off of the shelf I would go with the 7mm RM and if you are reloading I would go with one of the 6.5mm's. Regarding the optics, I purchased the Burris Veracity First Focal Plane last year and if you really are going out to 600 yards I do recommend the First Focal Plane scope. Burris and Nikon both have some very affordable First Focal Plane scopes, I say affordable depending on magnification and features they will run from $400 up to $1200. Your question about hunting larger game; I am an Elk hunter and I have taken multiple Elk with a 270 WSM, one at 400 yards. The larger calibers depend on the weight of the bullet to deliver the energy to the target while the smaller calibers use the speed to deliver the energy to target. Bullet construction is the deciding factor and the new technologies allow us to create a cartridge that will accomplish the end result that we are looking for. (Partition or Bonded Core) After that has been said it is still accuracy that will determine your success. What are you comfortable with?

I've been following this thread since I went through this same thing last year.

I needed a new gun, been archery hunting for years, and wanted a non-magnum caliber. I grew up shooting a 7 mag, I still have the gun and love the caliber, I just wanted something that didn't kick as much. Recoil doesn't bother me but I wanted something I wouldn't feel as much after shooting on the bench. I was really wanting a 6.5x284 or 270. Even though that's what I wanted I found a good deal on a new Tikka 7mm Rem Mag and bought it. I put the Nikon 4-16 on it with the Sims recoil pad. Problem is, since I set it up, I've never fired it. All my hunting opportunities escaped so it's sitting in the safe...I hope to get it out this week and start shooting it finally.

As far as ammo goes, this is what my son has got me wanting to try. In fact he bought a couple boxes for my birthday so we'll see how it shoots. All I can tell you is that him and his buddy (long time guide) both swear by this ammo in their 257 Wby Mag.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/6...-shock-x-bullet-boat-tail-lead-free-box-of-20

I've been following this thread since I went through this same thing last year.

I needed a new gun, been archery hunting for years, and wanted a non-magnum caliber. I grew up shooting a 7 mag, I still have the gun and love the caliber, I just wanted something that didn't kick as much. Recoil doesn't bother me but I wanted something I wouldn't feel as much after shooting on the bench. I was really wanting a 6.5x284 or 270. Even though that's what I wanted I found a good deal on a new Tikka 7mm Rem Mag and bought it. I put the Nikon 4-16 on it with the Sims recoil pad. Problem is, since I set it up, I've never fired it. All my hunting opportunities escaped so it's sitting in the safe...I hope to get it out this week and start shooting it finally.

As far as ammo goes, this is what my son has got me wanting to try. In fact he bought a couple boxes for my birthday so we'll see how it shoots. All I can tell you is that him and his buddy (long time guide) both swear by this ammo in their 257 Wby Mag.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/6...-shock-x-bullet-boat-tail-lead-free-box-of-20
Ive shot a lot of the VOR-TX in my ARs for shooting vermin and Ive been pleased with it.

If you find you still don't like the recoil of your 7mm Rm, look at the 6.5-284, 6.5x55, 6.5 CM, or .260 Rem.

I shoot a lot of big hammer magnums and tolerate recoil pretty well but the 6.5s are fantastic. There's something magical about the 6.5s, which is why they are so popular around the world for even hunting large game.

Personally, I think the 260 is the best of all of them and the Creedmore very close.

Hello all another question....what ammo would you all suggest I start with. I currently have Winchester power-point 150gr. It's all the store had. I'm pretty much learning my gun and can't handload yet. Obviously looking to deer hunt with it and I can shoot anywhere from 50yrds out to 600 yrds. I'm still learning all of the different language for ammo. B.C. G1 etc.... need something that will do the best job until I can learn to handload.
As long as you have a good premium hunting bullet like the Interlock, Interbond, ELD-X, Accubond etc the only thing that matters is finding out what your rifle shoots the best.

If you're shooting factory ammo try several different brands and see what is the most accurate in your rifle.

I've cut timber for the last 20 years, and never wore ear protection.
I want to be able to hear if a limb breaks out of a tree. The irony is, now I'm saying "what" more and more in coversations... I also have several braked rifles. But I do wear hearing protection. A really good pair of electronic ear muffs allow you and your partner to whisper, not the cheap one but a good 50-100$ pair..
Husqvarna and several others now make forester helmets with electronic ear protection and good stout screen face masks.

My wife made me get one several years ago when I was having to cut a whole lot of Mesquite every day and while I first thought it looked dorky as hell the more I wore it the more thankful I was for her thinking of it.

At least now I don't hear my saws running all night long while I'm trying to sleep!

Unfortunately trying one out in the real world isn't an option for me. I don't have a rifle with a brake nor do I know anyone with one. Most of the comments in regards to brakes say they increase how loud they are and require hearing protection even in a hunting situation.....I cant see that being worth the lesser recoil... however I have thought about a clamp on at least that way it is removeable if I truly don't like it.
Yes, they are certainly worth it. Clam on brakes are dangerous because they can easily blow off.

Threaded brakes come off very easily, just have your gunsmith make you a thread protector when you are getting it threaded.

Give the Hornady Precision Hunter Ammo a try and see how it shoots for you.

My personal opinion is no break. I had a model 70 in 7mm RM that I had a break installed and I sold that rifle due to the added blast and noise. That was some years ago, but I have never braked another rifle since then. I don't shoot anything bigger than a 338 Win though. Just my $.02.
You bought the wrong brake and replacing it would have been a far cheaper solution.

The Gentry Quiet Brake and North West Precision breaks are very effective and very easy on the ears. I prefer the latter because its a side discharge brake vs 360 deg radial discharge brake. The latter can kick up a whole lot of dust/snow and if you're shooting into the wind it gets real tough on the eyes.

Just a brief update......my rail and new bolt knob will be here saturday from MTC. can't wait to install and sight it in again....lol. also am trying out the new grip on the modular stock and also the added forend grip. We shall see how it all turns out. But very excited to try it out. And as for ammo....none of my local stores carry ammo I'm looking for and if they do its 45 a box. Don't want to buy online because I have to pay 10 processing fee at my local ffl.....ugh. time to save pennies and reload.

Well its all done. For now. All parts came in and installed but haven't been able to shoot it. Looks awesome in my opinion and feels great in the hands.

Attachments

• 20160910_133526.jpg
    20160910_133526.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 20160908_160713.jpg
    20160908_160713.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 20160910_124223.jpg
    20160910_124223.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 20160910_123320.jpg
    20160910_123320.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 20160908_160206.jpg
    20160908_160206.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 73
Husqvarna and several others now make forester helmets with electronic ear protection and good stout screen face masks.

My wife made me get one several years ago when I was having to cut a whole lot of Mesquite every day and while I first thought it looked dorky as hell the more I wore it the more thankful I was for her thinking of it.

At least now I don't hear my saws running all night long while I'm trying to sleep!

I hear that, lol
I have a Stihl hard hat set up like that, I do find myself using the muffs more and more the older I get.
It's funny when you are a young man, nothing seems to bother you.
As you get older all of those injuries seem to catch up.

It goes with the saying, "you spend the first half of your life trying to kill yourself, and the second half trying to stay alive.":)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.