Tikka T3 Help

Ought6

I'm wanting a Tikka T3 Lite in either 7mm Rem. Mag or 300 Win. Mag for some long range deer hunting on a lease I have . Shots probably won't be over 500 or 600 yards . This is the rifle I am set on but I just can't decide on which caliber I want . I just gave my old Remington 7Mag to my son so I am leaning toward the 300 just because I have never owned one . Any suggestions on factory ammo from Tikka owners would be appreciated . Experimenting can get expensive ! Thanks

Either will do, so if you haven't played with a .300 much it sounds like a good time to branch out.

Applied Ballistics makes quality ammo. Some interesting combo's at IQ metals.

I have the T3 SS in 300 win mag but I modified it a little. Put a McMillan stock on it and changed the bottom from plastic to aluminum so I could torque it down more. Mine prefers the Federal 180 gr Trophy Bonded Tip but also did pretty good with the new Hornady 200 gr ELD-X. I also tried Barnes TTSX 180 gr and Nosler 200 gr Accubond but it didn't like those at all. Let me also say that there is a noticeable difference in recoil between the 180s and the 200 grain bullets.

I should have added that mine is 8 pounds with the scope and does not have a muzzle break on it. After about 12 to 16 rounds it is not a whole lot of fun to shoot without a few hours of rest. The T3 lite if I remember correctly may be 1/2 pound less so consider putting a break on it.

That's a lot of caliber for a deer and a Tikka lite in 300 WM is not going to be on your fun gun list, the 7mag will not be a lot better
I shoot a 168 grainers in an 30-06 fluted Tikka that gets the job done to 900 yards with ease but it aint fun to pull the trigger, just effective.
The 06 will probably be a dedicated elk rifle since I added a Tikka lite in 6.5 Sweede that is fun to shoot and should be a deer/goat getter to 750 Yards?
They sure are great carry rifles!! Have not found either rifle to be all that fussy about what it shoots but neither prefer the Nosler Partitions like I do. They both however dote on Hornady Amaxes 168 and 140s

I have a t3 Super lite in 7mm rem mag. Scoped the rifle weighs 7.4 lbs and it is easy to shoot with 162 grain bullets, but I would recommend a limbsaver recoil pad and some sort of cheek pad.
A muzzle brake is not needed, I can track my own shots with ease, don't think that would be possible with the 300 win mag shooting the 200 grain bullets.

I have a t3 Super lite in 7mm rem mag. Scoped the rifle weighs 7.4 lbs and it is easy to shoot with 162 grain bullets, but I would recommend a limbsaver recoil pad and some sort of cheek pad.
A muzzle brake is not needed, I can track my own shots with ease, don't think that would be possible with the 300 win mag shooting the 200 grain bullets.
Thanks for the input . I have decided to stick with the 7mm since I already have several brands of ammo in that caliber . Any particular ammo the 7mm Tikka prefers ? My Remington loves the Hornady Custom 154 grain but I am thinking I'd like to try the Winchester 150 grain BST or Accubond . Thanks

Thanks for the input . I have decided to stick with the 7mm since I already have several brands of ammo in that caliber . Any particular ammo the 7mm Tikka prefers ? My Remington loves the Hornady Custom 154 grain but I am thinking I'd like to try the Winchester 150 grain BST or Accubond . Thanks

It sounds like you do not reload, so I figured I would make the offer. We do custom ammunition with our Hammer Bullets. Send us the rifle and we will do the custom load work up with the minimum purchase of 100 rounds of ammo. That way there is no guess as to wether the rifle will like it, and we will ring out the best load for the rifle.

Steve

At 600 Yards and in, for deer, with a light, sporter weight rifle, I see no need for a belted magnum rifle. A person is far more likely to shoot a lesser recoiling cartridge like a .260 or .308 FAR better.

I shoot Tikka T3s and have made some kills right in those parameters using Tikkas chambered in .308, and did not find them lacking at all.

That said, I also have a T3 Lite in .300 WM. I found the recoil to be brisk. It now wears a brake, and doing it over, I should have put the brake on right off the bat.

What bullet are you using in a 308 at that range?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.